The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 1:30am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Power Amplifier Stability (Read 2647 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Power Amplifier Stability
Jan 13th, 2013, 5:35pm

Hi all,

for a PA, the closer it is to instability, the higher the gain you can get. Just wondering, how close to instability do we normally design a PA for a high-end application? I guess you can look at the k-factor right?

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Re: Power Amplifier Stability
Reply #1 - Jan 13th, 2013, 6:00pm

Gain isn't always the primary consideration for a PA. It is more common for power added efficiency (PAE) and possibly linearity to be primary design specifications. It is quite possible to achieve high/acceptable PAE without high gain.

That said, if you need a stable high gain power amplifier, then the first question is how power efficient does it need to be. If the answer is "efficiency doesn't matter, but linearity does" then using the Rollet stability factor (k and delta) is an ok approach. But if efficiency matters, then the amplifier is operating in some nonlinear fashion (Class AB, B, C, D, E). In these cases, the K and delta factors change as a function of power level, so you need to measure them with power sweeps using large signal S parameter analysis. Of course the trick is to keep the real part of the total impedance positive over all load conditions; otherwise, the amplifier may oscillate.

I hope other's chime in with their experience and approaches to PA stability.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: Power Amplifier Stability
Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2013, 12:46am

OK I suppose my question was a little too general. Suppose we are talking about a class AB PA. Although k>1 doesn't guarantee stability, I think most designers still check k before taping out. Just wondering if there are any guidelines on an acceptable k-factor. Generally speaking, the lower the k-factor, the more you're getting out of your device.

Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.