The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 29th, 2024, 8:41am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Thermal Considerations (Read 3247 times)
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Thermal Considerations
Jan 24th, 2013, 11:35am

Hello all,
I have two current mode driver's with certain swing @ 50ohm. But one driver taking 20mA from 1.2v and another one drawing same 20mA from 1V (i have same swing in both cases). So my Question is which driver dissipates more heat(heat from  driver will be changing characteristics of Optical modulator). Is heat dissipation depends on current drawn by driver or power drawn by driver.

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Dave Jackson

Re: Thermal Considerations
Reply #1 - Jan 25th, 2013, 11:37am

Hi Raj,
Treat the two drivers (with their respective loads) as black boxes.  Pretend that you know nothing else about the drivers other than that one has 1.2V applied across it and the other has 1V applied across it.  Since they draw the same current, the driver/load combination with 1.2V will dissipate more power (24mW) than the driver/load combination with 1V across it (20mW).  Now think about the loads.  Since the two drivers have the same output swing into identical loads, the two loads dissipate the same power (xmW).  Subtract xmW from both 24mW and 20mW, and you find that the driver with 1.2V across it still dissipates the higher power.  Your driver with 1.2V across it is less efficient (or is being used in a less efficient way) than your driver with 1V across it.
Hope this helps,
Dave

View Profile   IP Logged
Erez_Sarig

Re: Thermal Considerations
Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2013, 1:17pm

Heat = Power

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.