The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 15th, 2024, 7:45pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
biasing of PA (Read 3204 times)
mixed_signal

biasing of PA
Feb 09th, 2013, 8:12pm

What is the best way to generate bias VB1, VB2, VB3?

classA_bias.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
rfidea

Europe
Re: biasing of PA
Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2013, 5:21am

My first thought was to use current mirrors. For example, use a diode connected reference transistor to bias nodes V1 and V3. The scale the nmos devices to get wanted current. The V2 can be biased by a CMFB loop sensing the dc voltage of drain voltage of the pmos transistor.

One question about biasing the output stage although. If the current is high, maybe a mismatch of a current source can be severe and the current will not be what you want. Maybe the output current should be sensed by a small resistor to ground or vdd and then using feedback. Of course a rail-to-rail amplifier is needed but those can be designed.

Some ideas... Maybe others has other ideas

View Profile   IP Logged
Erez_Sarig

Reply #2 - Feb 10th, 2013, 7:11am

Enjoy...

bias.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
mixed_signal

Reply #3 - Feb 10th, 2013, 11:18am

Thank you rfidea and Erez_Sarig!

Erez_Sarig:

I cant bias first stage using that. It consumes more power even as class AB. I have to independently bias NMOS & PMOS to be power efficient and operate as class AB

View Profile   IP Logged
Erez_Sarig

Reply #4 - Feb 10th, 2013, 11:37pm

Enjoy2...

bias2.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #5 - Feb 12th, 2013, 6:58pm

Hi,

I agree with Erez_Sarig's use of feedback to bias the first stage, but if you want to maximize the output swing of the first stage, you may want to compare the output DC voltage with VDD/2 using a feedback amplifier.

regards,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.