The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 18th, 2024, 1:30am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Unbalanced rise/fall time of class-AB output (Read 9216 times)
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Unbalanced rise/fall time of class-AB output
Feb 12th, 2013, 8:40pm

Hi Guys,

I have a rail-to-rail output opamp with class-AB output, which is shown in the following picture. I am confused that its rise time is much bigger than its fall time. The opamp is configured into a non-inverting 2X gain mode.

Any comments are appreciated.

Yawei

class_AB_output_001.png
View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Re: Unbalanced rise/fall time of class-AB output
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2013, 9:31pm

The input signal is red and the output is blue in the following picture.

step_response.png
View Profile   IP Logged
Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2013, 7:02am

How do the voltage nodes 'push' and 'pull' look like?

View Profile   IP Logged
Vladislav D
Community Member

The Netherlands
Reply #3 - Feb 13th, 2013, 2:31pm

The rise/fall time is defined by the tail/cascode currents and the compensation cap, not by the output stage! To make edges symmetrical, the currents should be equal.

View Profile   IP Logged
Erez_Sarig

Reply #4 - Feb 14th, 2013, 2:03am

You Amp is not working in saturation so the Class AB is not the issue here. you apply a large signal.
So the reason should be due to NMOS / PMOS output drivers which do not have same resistance.
PMOS is not 2X MOS but more 2.5-2.7MOS.

Monitor the gates and see they are at maximum opening.

Erez Sarig

View Profile   IP Logged
Vladislav D
Community Member

The Netherlands
Reply #5 - Feb 14th, 2013, 3:12am

Erez_Sarig wrote on Feb 14th, 2013, 2:03am:
You Amp is not working in saturation so the Class AB is not the issue here. you apply a large signal.
So the reason should be due to NMOS / PMOS output drivers which do not have same resistance.
PMOS is not 2X MOS but more 2.5-2.7MOS.

Monitor the gates and see they are at maximum opening.

Erez Sarig

Wrong. The slewing is defined not by resistance, but by the current and capacitance. Output transistor should operate in saturation, i.e they represent a current source. Now, the question what is larger Icas/Cc or Inmos(Ipmos)/Cload? Btw, output transistors are the part of AB stage and cannot be distinguish from it.

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #6 - Feb 23rd, 2013, 6:06pm

I don't read schematics sidewise but I see a few clues.

1) the first pulse is different than the rest so something is probably becoming debiased.
2) The tail current source seems to be very large.
3) The slow rise, fast fall would be consistent with capacitance on the tail current source stealing all the current from the diff pair. Be aware that the diff pair bulk connection to the tail node will add even more capacitance and it isn't modeled.

I'd try it in inverting configuration so that the diff pair isn't getting jerked around. (I guess you could make the tail current source ideal). If it works then I'd guess the capacitance on the tail node is stealing your bias current.

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #7 - Feb 25th, 2013, 8:11pm

Lex wrote on Feb 13th, 2013, 7:02am:
How do the voltage nodes 'push' and 'pull' look like?

Lex, I am sorry to reply late. The nodes push and pull looks like in the following picture. They are obviously unbalanced.  :(

push_pull_nodes.png
View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #8 - Feb 25th, 2013, 10:41pm

Hi Guys,

The primary factor that results in the slow rise time is the load, a feedback network consisting of 2 resistors. Please look at the test bench for the amplifier step response on the left of the following picture. Is it a wrong choice to drive such a load with class-AB output driver?

The rise time reduces a lot if I change to the test bench on the right of the following picture.

Best Regards,
Yawei

step_response_bench_001.png
View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #9 - Feb 25th, 2013, 10:52pm

The properly designed AB is well suited for that load. What are your power supplies? Your output starts out at 0V. Is the supply lower than that?

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #10 - Feb 26th, 2013, 4:01am

Hi RobG,

You are correct. The load has nothing to do with the rise/fall time. I made a mistake when I compared two configurations. The output step of the unity gain feedback was half the amplitude of the step of the gain=2 feedback. The supply is single 3.3V.

Quote:
2) The tail current source seems to be very large.
3) The slow rise, fast fall would be consistent with capacitance on the tail current source stealing all the current from the diff pair. Be aware that the diff pair bulk connection to the tail node will add even more capacitance and it isn't modeled.

The rise/fall time becomes more balanced when I replace the tail  current source with an ideal current source. Then I tried to reduce the capacitance of the source node of the diff. pair. It does not improve much.

I found the tail current decreases by half when the inp/inm increases. It is curious because that the Vds is still much bigger than Vdsat.

In the following picture, net016 is the source of the differential pair, M3/s is the tail current, M1/S and M2/S is the source current of each MOS transistor of the differential pair.

net016 increases by near 1.3V, so the parasitic capacitor must have steal some tail current. But why M3/S decreases by almost half?

Thanks very much for your help.
Yawei

step_response_current_001.png
View Profile   IP Logged
Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Reply #11 - Feb 26th, 2013, 5:00am

At what voltage are ncas en pcas?

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #12 - Feb 26th, 2013, 7:41am

ywguo wrote on Feb 26th, 2013, 4:01am:
Hi RobG,

You are correct. The load has nothing to do with the rise/fall time. I made a mistake when I compared two configurations. The output step of the unity gain feedback was half the amplitude of the step of the gain=2 feedback. The supply is single 3.3V.

OK, I've done that too. The output going all the way to the bottom rail is also going to cause problems so you need to reduce output swing.

Capacitance doesn't seem to be your issue; it sounds like you need to make M3 longer to increase the impedance (or make it a cascode device).

If there is a way to reconfigure the system to use the opamp in inverting mode it is going to perform a lot better since the tail current source will see the same voltage.

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #13 - Feb 27th, 2013, 4:22am

Lex wrote on Feb 26th, 2013, 5:00am:
At what voltage are ncas en pcas?

Lex, the voltage of ncas and pcas are shown in the following plot.

ncas_pcas.png
View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #14 - Feb 27th, 2013, 4:44am

Hi RobG,

The following is comparison of the original design, the half-size tail current and ideal tail current. The red line is the step response of the original design. The purple line is the step response of the opamp with half-size tail current. The black line is the step response of the opamp with ideal current source.

The purple line improves compared to the original design. I will try to improve the tail current source further.

Thank you very much.

Yawei

step_response_comparison.png
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.