The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 3:29pm
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Trans-impedance amplifier (Read 846 times)
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Re: Trans-impedance amplifier
Reply #15 - Feb 25th, 2013, 10:30am

raja.cedt wrote on Feb 24th, 2013, 3:22am:
Dear all,
it is a trans-impedance amplifier. I found from prof Bertan Bakkaloglu student thesis (page 11, fig 6).

http://repository.asu.edu/attachments/56952/content/LaFevre_asu_0010N_10920.pdf

@Vladislav D:yes i agree that +ve fb circuits works with <1 gain, but i don't think it has PVT insensitive property like -ve feedback. Can you point out me any design with +ve feedback, if you know.

Thanks,
Raj.  

That is a quality team on the thesis but that circuit polarity just seems wrong. I can't see it doing anything except seeking one rail or the other, but I've been wrong before. On the other hand, writing is very hard work and it is easy to overlook mistakes like this.

Have you tried it?

View Profile   IP Logged
Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Reply #16 - Feb 26th, 2013, 1:46am

RobG wrote on Feb 23rd, 2013, 1:25pm:
... The best use for this circuit is to send it to a competitor that you don't like.

Brilliantly commented.  =D

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #17 - Feb 26th, 2013, 7:44am

hello,
@robg: i forgo to ask, can you please explain how it will be useful for sensing power supply variations?

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #18 - Feb 26th, 2013, 7:52am

raja.cedt wrote on Feb 26th, 2013, 7:44am:
hello,
@robg: i forgo to ask, can you please explain how it will be useful for sensing power supply variations?

Thanks,
Raj.

Oh, I was joking, which maybe I shouldn't do since I could be taken seriously. As far as I can tell the positive feedback will force the output to the positive rail or the negative rail so the output will Vss or Vdd-Vgs. In other words, it is a measure of the power supply.

Maybe Rd is small enough that it will find an operating point, but in that case the M1 bias current will be (Vdd-(Vo+Vgs3)) so it will be dependent on Vdd.

I could be wrong, but I can't see how it would work.

Did you get the email I sent you?

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #19 - Feb 26th, 2013, 12:11pm

Dear robg,
fine, i understood what you are saying. Before posting this thread i am pretty sure this was mistake while drawing fig. i just want to make sure once so posted . recently saw few loops working with +ve feedback with less than 1 loop gain (please find the attached fig) and some are both with +ve and -ve feedback.

Do you think +ve fb with <1 gain have all good things as -ve fb had?
can you tell me how this attached unity gain buffer works?
BTW..i didn't get your email...
Thanks,
Raj.

Untitled_012.png
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #20 - Feb 26th, 2013, 3:07pm

The NMOS in that circuit acts more like a cascode for the PMOS that is bootstrapped to the input. I don't think of that as a feedback circuit but I suppose you could - the loop gain would be essentially nil from the PMOS drain to the input.

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #21 - Feb 28th, 2013, 7:50pm

OK, heard through the grapevine that this transimpedance amplifier is supposed to be run open loop. Now it makes more sense. Start thinking about it by removing Rf. Then you will notice that the small signal voltage at the gate of M3 is IIN*Rd. M3 then just serves as a voltage follower. The gain is simply  Vo/Iin = Rd.

When you include Rf it adds positive feedback which will enhance the gain. My initial scratchings (which are often wrong) indicate the gain will be Vo/Iin = Rd/(1-Rd/Rf).

However, I'm not sure that is how Rf was intended to be used because the description in the thesis does not match the figure. It says that the gain is  Vo/Iin =Rf and describes the operation as if it were a negative feedback transimpedance amplifier. (Especially one where the current from M1 is mirrored and then buffered by M3, which would work fine.) Therefore I think the figure is in error although it will function if Rf>Rd (also note you will have 0dB PSRR if you measure relative to ground, maybe worse when Rf is included).

Assuming the figure is in error, having written a few papers I know how easy it is to miss something like this in the final edit especially when it isn't the main focus of the paper. Every once in a while I have to remind myself not to be too critical of other people's work.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #22 - Mar 1st, 2013, 10:33am

Hello all,
i am extremely sorry  for mis understanding this feedback. It's my mistake, it is -ve feedback.  But still i don't have solid reason to say -ve feedback but some how i will try to figure out the reason.

Thanks,
Raj.

RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #23 - Mar 1st, 2013, 10:34am

raja.cedt wrote on Mar 1st, 2013, 10:33am:
Hello all,
i am extremely sorry  for mis understanding this feedback. It's my mistake, it is -ve feedback.  But still i don't have solid reason to say -ve feedback but some how i will try to figure out the reason.

Thanks,
Raj.

? I think it is positive feedback.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #24 - Mar 1st, 2013, 10:44am

No rogb,
I am sure it is -ve feedback. However i don't have solid ans...One simple test in small signal gain expression if you get all coefficients +ve then it's -ve feedback. Please find the attached doc.

As you might have already noticed circuits looks like +ve fb, but they have some where inherent strong -ve feedback. One simple example gm=1/R circuit.

I will update if i have some good answer.

Good night,
raj.

raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #25 - Mar 3rd, 2013, 2:48am

Dear Robg,
one more example, according to razaavi the following fb is -ve but i though it is +ve. do you know how it is -ve fb..

Thanks,
Raj.

Untitled_013.png
Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Reply #26 - Mar 4th, 2013, 1:33am

raja.cedt wrote on Mar 3rd, 2013, 2:48am:
Dear Robg,
one more example, according to razaavi the following fb is -ve but i though it is +ve. do you know how it is -ve fb..

Thanks,
Raj.

Go through M1 (no inversion), then M2 (inversion). So, one inversion -> negative feedback.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #27 - Mar 4th, 2013, 2:07am

dear Lex,
M2 non-inverting.So +ve fb.

Thanks,
Raj.

Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Reply #28 - Mar 4th, 2013, 2:16am

raja.cedt wrote on Mar 4th, 2013, 2:07am:
dear Lex,
M2 non-inverting.So +ve fb.

Thanks,
Raj.

Oops. Sorry. You're right. I mistakenly saw M2 for a PMOS. I guess it is time for a coffee.

/edit
I think you're right about the positive feedback part, but if the loopgain is smaller than 1 it can still operate. Please provide the figure number next time (8.57). It helps to look up the context.

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #29 - Mar 4th, 2013, 7:43am

That looks like positive fb to me. I found it in his book but I couldn't find where he said it was negative fb.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.