The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 3:16pm
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Design flow for high yield (Read 872 times)
love_analog

Re: Design flow for high yield
Reply #15 - Jul 20th, 2014, 8:19am

Hi Stephan/All
Re-activating this thread since I am still confused. sorry!

This is how I do "practical" design. Lets see our offset spec if 10mV.
I will take the worst case PVT corners and run MC on that. If you have designed circuits you know what offset depends upon so you know what is the worst case corner.
I will run as many MC samples as needed till my offset doesn't change appreciably. So for instance I run 200 samples I see my max offset is 4mV at slow corner. I run 400 samples I see max offset is 6mV. I run 500 samples and I see it at 6.2mV. I will basically say I am done since I am far from spec.
If I am close to spec (say spec was 6.5mV), I will increase device size to get some more margin. Engineering judgement (no science)

Now what is wrong with this approach ?

loveanalog.blogspot.com
The Power of Analog
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #16 - Jul 21st, 2014, 11:20am

One of the things I find interesting about this discussion is that everyone is focusing on statistical model distribution.

If you want good yields you need to deal with the extremes of your process and find the capability for the circuit architecture to compensate beyond those extremes and still work within desired specs.

When you fix those items withing the circuit architecture (think gain margin, offset trimmers, noise margin, capacitors sized beyond the expected process extremes, etc) you will have a design that is not dependent on process variance but has the necessary circuit elements to deal with it. It grows the chip a bit, but if you got an ADC with poor yield sitting in the middle of some huge SOC device, growing the ADC a little is better than tossing the the huge SOC away because you decide to not include offset alignment circuits, or sized your sampling capacitors on the edge of your KT/C requirements.

Think big picture.

If your ADC/DAC/PLL/Whatever is a small part of the whole chip, growing that small part so that you get good overall yield is a no brainer.

Yield on final silicon (high volume) is what it is all about.  

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
love_analog

Reply #17 - Jul 22nd, 2014, 7:42pm

Jeff
Sorry. I don't understand your response.

We are trying to make a design of ADC (say) with high yield so you don't have to throw your SoC away.
Are you saying forget about sizing - just make it huge so that you don't have to worry about meeting spec?

loveanalog.blogspot.com
The Power of Analog
View Profile   IP Logged
carlgrace

Berkeley, CA
Reply #18 - Jul 22nd, 2014, 10:45pm

He's not saying "make it huge", he's saying put in enough design margin (where that can be making devices larger but also putting in "chicken bits" such as offset aligners, bias programmability and the like) that the chip will still work even with worst case process.

Like Jerry says, it is usually obvious where the danger zones are in a given design.  Add a bit of extra margin to those areas and sleep better.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #19 - Jul 24th, 2014, 6:55pm

carlgrace wrote on Jul 22nd, 2014, 10:45pm:
He's not saying "make it huge", he's saying put in enough design margin (where that can be making devices larger but also putting in "chicken bits" such as offset aligners, bias programmability and the like) that the chip will still work even with worst case process.

Like Jerry says, it is usually obvious where the danger zones are in a given design.  Add a bit of extra margin to those areas and sleep better.

Agreed!

Lets take the case of some big SOC where the ADC/DAC/PLL/Whatever occupies 5% of the chip area and the other 95% of the chip is a big pile of digital verilog.

2 things will kill this IC:

1 - defect density statistics in the digital parts.
2- analog parts not operating within spec (noise, offset, whatever)

Defect density is pure statistical silicon yield issues and you can not do anything about it. (That's a foundry problem.)

Put design margin into the analog part in the form of noise margins in the design and architecture items to deal with gain and offset limitations.

At the end of the day to put that design margin in, you probably became 7% of the chip area, and upped the current a little bit (think noise margin and impedance scaling).

But, again for the sake of argument lets say your yield at final test goes from 70% to 95%, and that last 5% of loss is due to wafer defects and the chip being so big.

Who is Jeff? Cool

Jerry Twomey
Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Reply #20 - Jul 29th, 2014, 7:53am

Adding circuitry not only increases area but also design time, verification time, debug time, etc.. In general it costs money and time (time which can be expressed again in money).

To justify the costs of the 'adding circuits', one should present the figures of increasing reliability. Doing a good job with alignment circuits etc., everybody knows the reliability is likely to improve, but the question is, by how much? Knowing those statistical distributions, we can actually quantify this and justify it.

E.g. the following discussion can be the result:
Designer: "With the alignment circuits, our reliability can go from 3.2sigma to 4.6sigma, but it costs us X1 amount of area, X2 amount of design time and X3 amount of debug time".
Manager: 3.2 to 4.6 sigma increases number of good devices by X4, but costs me X5. Okay after calculation, so that's a profit of X6. Sure, designer, go ahead, make me some nice alignment circuits =)

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #21 - Jul 30th, 2014, 1:40pm

Lex wrote on Jul 29th, 2014, 7:53am:
Adding circuitry not only increases area but also design time, verification time, debug time, etc.. In general it costs money and time (time which can be expressed again in money).

To justify the costs of the 'adding circuits', one should present the figures of increasing reliability. Doing a good job with alignment circuits etc., everybody knows the reliability is likely to improve, but the question is, by how much? Knowing those statistical distributions, we can actually quantify this and justify it.

E.g. the following discussion can be the result:
Designer: "With the alignment circuits, our reliability can go from 3.2sigma to 4.6sigma, but it costs us X1 amount of area, X2 amount of design time and X3 amount of debug time".
Manager: 3.2 to 4.6 sigma increases number of good devices by X4, but costs me X5. Okay after calculation, so that's a profit of X6. Sure, designer, go ahead, make me some nice alignment circuits =)

If you go that path the product will be obsolete before you are out the door with it.

Frequently the design cycle is happening before silicon actually exists. I was doing designs on 45nm when the actual existence of any real 45nm wafers was about 6 months in the future.

That's how this business works...

Jerry Twomey
Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Reply #22 - Aug 1st, 2014, 8:56am

loose-electron wrote on Jul 30th, 2014, 1:40pm:
Lex wrote on Jul 29th, 2014, 7:53am:

If you go that path the product will be obsolete before you are out the door with it.

Frequently the design cycle is happening before silicon actually exists. I was doing designs on 45nm when the actual existence of any real 45nm wafers was about 6 months in the future.

That's how this business works...

That argument is pretty weak. Models are never a fixed thing. Even 'old' PDKs get updates. It does not make statistical simulations irrelevant.

Point is that with this kind of software, quantification of justification comes within hand's reach. To me that's pretty powerful, especially when pushing the boundaries.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #23 - Aug 1st, 2014, 5:44pm

How good are these statistical models you are using folks?

Results are only as good as the model being used.

Jerry Twomey
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #24 - Aug 1st, 2014, 6:03pm

Quote:
a
That argument is pretty weak. Models are never a fixed thing. Even 'old' PDKs get updates. It does not make statistical simulations irrelevant.

Point is that with this kind of software, quantification of justification comes within hand's reach. To me that's pretty powerful, especially when pushing the boundaries.

The difference between our perspectives on this are pretty evident. Difference is I have been on the team for a number of different foundry process, done model development, parasitic extraction, device validation and been responsible for correlation and tracking issues.

Never said they were irrelevant, but the analogy here is doing 8 place resolution math when your input data is only good to 3 places, and actually believing there is some significance in those last 5 decimal places.

Oh,  and tweaking the PDK is a last path effort generally. When possible you tweak the process to meet the models already out there. Why? Let's say you are TSMC with 10,000 designers running silicon on your foundry line. Major changes to the silicon you put out renders a lot of designs that don't yield as originally designed. You try and keep the R/square, oxide thickness (C/square) and similar aligned with the nominal model, to keep all those designs coming thru the fab functional.

Consequently you adjust foundry parameters to stay aligned with the nominal model. PDK tweaks do happen, but  first path of choice is something you as an end user never are even aware of.

Jerry Twomey
Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Reply #25 - Aug 4th, 2014, 5:05am

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but the way I interpret your comment is like: we'll do what we can to improve yield qualitatively (e.g. some growing here and there, alignment here and there, etc.) and then just shoot and hope for the best (yield).

The problem I have with that is that it sounds like a 'slippery slope'. Growing some circuit is fine, but where to stop? Same for alignment circuits etc. At a point, I'd question myself, is it a matter of diminishing returns or does the yield still significantly improves? Then comes the logical (to me at least) question: how can I verify whether it still make sense?

I share your skepticism on models, simulated accuracy etc. and I think that it is important. But I don't share the opinion that their results are lost in noise. For example, a simple corner in an ADC like a SF, Cmax is also a high sigma event, but I bet you still take in consideration, don't you?

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #26 - Aug 4th, 2014, 2:20pm

never said it was irrelevant and I never said put trim and alignment on everything.

However, as a designer you are going to be able to figure out where matching, gain variance and other things are critical to making things work as desired.

Those are the places where you need to provide adjustment capability.

Don't needlessly add things to adjust items that are not important.

However if you got something that needs a certain noise performance, putting 3dB of margin in there would be wise, or if the gain of a circuit needs to be good to  0.5dB and the resistor ratio matching variance will only get you to .8dB you need to deal with it.

Jerry Twomey
carlgrace

Berkeley, CA
Reply #27 - Aug 5th, 2014, 5:56pm

Contrary to Lex's obvious assumption I think it needs to be said that trim circuits can save design time and money.

I used to work at a well-known, large analog IC manufacturer and we always added trim bits because we knew that the "corners" were mostly hogwash.  

With TSMC, we almost always got very close to nominal, no worries.  Every once in a while we got some screwy wafers.  I evaluated dies from different wafer runs for a communications SOC I was working on and while I saw a bit of variation I didn't see anything to convince me that there were any Gaussian processes at work there.

I think the idea that you can add trimming bits and go from 2.8sigma yield to 4.2 sigma yield at 90% is a meaningless statement devoid of any purpose.

Want to design a successful chip cheaply on an accelerated schedule?  Design for nominal, put in some margin so it doesn't fail at the most likely corners, and put in some trim bits that can be set during wafer sort or through SPI/I2C.

Also, I'm very interested in your last sentence, Lex.  Have you ever actually seen a wafer exhibit anything close to a SF corner?  Can you suggest any physical effect during wafer fab that could yield such a unicorn?

View Profile   IP Logged
Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Reply #28 - Aug 6th, 2014, 8:53am

Hey Carl,

To me happened a couple of times that a single parameter went out of specs. Poly resistance and a metal layer accuracy was bad. Needless to say most of the times hovered around typ. Also here good experience at TSMC. I share your skepticism on the corners.

Concerning the unicorn, you probably better ask your fab guys, but for SF, my suggestion would be that they have different doping and also different response to stress and radiation. Regarding this 'differential corner', also EOL effects can be interesting as well.

When working in image sensors, I'm positive you can be convinced that the Gaussian processes are at work Smiley. Since there are 1000's of ADC's on board, in that regard, 2.8 sigma is 1 poor ADC in 200, while 4.2 sigma is 1 poor ADC in 37000. I2C/SPI works only on the whole array of ADCs, so it'll help you with die/lot corners, but not with each ADC individually. Statistics have some meaning here, I'd say.

In your case, having a single ADC on a chip with individual trim bits, there is obviously a lot of coverage. 'How much?' is apparently the forbidden question here... then just hope that it is good enough that it doesn't pop up after ramp up.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #29 - Aug 6th, 2014, 12:34pm

Image sensors are really not a good place to look at this. When you look at the output of an image sensor, nothing lines up until you run a software image calibration (White-Black and the Bayer color balancing)

Consequently with image sensors you are putting a LOT of calibration and alignment into the game, as a function of the image processing software.

So Lex, sorry but you got the trim and calibration system there already.

Jerry Twomey
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.