The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 18th, 2024, 3:26am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LDO Design ( Any Advantage in using feedback resistors?) (Read 6588 times)
Larry_80
Community Member

LDO Design ( Any Advantage in using feedback resistors?)
Feb 20th, 2013, 4:57pm

Hello Guys,
Please see attached circuits. The first on the LHS utilizes resistive feedback and the one on the RHS does not. I am driving a CONSTANT current load and capacitance. Could someone please explain if there is any advantage in using the Resistive feedback version over not using a resistive feedback? PSRR is of primary concern to me!

[img][/img]

LDO.png
View Profile   IP Logged
A Kumar R
Community Member

India
Re: LDO Design ( Any Advantage in using feedback resistors?)
Reply #1 - Feb 21st, 2013, 5:43am

Hi,

Those resistors may used to define a particular output voltage (by changing the divider ratio) with the given Vref. It is not always the case where we will use only one output voltage throughout, in the case of these power-management blocks.

i don't see any other issues. you have to use it.

Thanks
Anil

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #2 - Feb 21st, 2013, 6:10am

in addition to anil i would like to say  PSRR depends on UGB, so if you make sure same loop gain in both cases (by adjusting opamp gain) PSRR will be more less same in both cases...

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Larry_80
Community Member

Reply #3 - Feb 21st, 2013, 10:36am

raja.cedt wrote on Feb 21st, 2013, 6:10am:
in addition to anil i would like to say  PSRR depends on UGB, so if you make sure same loop gain in both cases (by adjusting opamp gain) PSRR will be more less same in both cases...

So what if i have a large Cload, won't that affect my PSRR?

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #4 - Feb 21st, 2013, 10:48am

hello,
it effect's but it will be similar to both cases you shown in the fig. Please refer introduction in this pap.

http://www-vlsi.stanford.edu/papers/ea_rep_reg_jssc_06.pdf

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Praveen K

Bangalore
Reply #5 - Feb 22nd, 2013, 4:17am

For the same Phase Margin, with resistive feedback the compensation cap can be much lesser, but in unity gain feedback structure compensation cap required will be much more. This might degrade the PSRR.

praveen

View Profile praveenjthomas   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #6 - Feb 22nd, 2013, 8:00am

More than that - for feedback without any voltage divider you must apply a Vref identical to Vout (very large opamp gain).
How would you manage this?

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Reply #7 - Feb 22nd, 2013, 8:14am

Advantage: the one without resistive feedback has higher loopgain.
Disadvantage: you will need an extra block if you want a vout different from vref.

View Profile   IP Logged
AS

US
Reply #8 - Feb 26th, 2013, 5:17pm

I believe the most important role feedback resistor plays to eliminate the zero-load current condition, if that is important for you. There are other ways to maintain a minimum load current, but for a voltage source i.e. LDO, resistor divider is the simplest fixed current load.

-Aman

View Profile   IP Logged
smlogan
Community Member

Boston, MA
Reply #9 - Feb 26th, 2013, 7:07pm

Larry_80 wrote on Feb 20th, 2013, 4:57pm:
Hello Guys,
Please see attached circuits. The first on the LHS utilizes resistive feedback and the one on the RHS does not. I am driving a CONSTANT current load and capacitance. Could someone please explain if there is any advantage in using the Resistive feedback version over not using a resistive feedback? PSRR is of primary concern to me!

[img][/img]

If PSSR is a major concern, an item I have not seen mentioned is the manner in which the resistors are implemented and if they are adjustable using analog switches. Parasitic capacitance of either the resistors or the switches to the supply can significantly reduce the high frequency supply rejection. Hence, the use of the topology and substrate connections of resistors and any potential switches to adjust the resistor ratio, must be considered to optimize high frequency PSSR. It took me some time to track down this issue when it significantly reduced the PSSR of an LDO using a layout extracted view of the block when compared to its schematic view based simulation.

Shawn
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.