The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 11:13pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What is the exact difference between CNR and SNR? (Read 221 times)
iVenky

Silicon Valley
What is the exact difference between CNR and SNR?
Mar 25th, 2013, 11:19am

I have searched google but I couldn't get a clear picture about this CNR. CNR looks to be something that is measured at the input of a RF system (In satellite communication I see this term a lot). C/N is basically a RF domain measurement (pre-detected measurements)
SNR is a baseband domain measurement (post detected measurements on baseband signals). But they both look to be related in some way.  SNR (in this case) depends on the symbol period as the matched filter would average the noise for a time period Ts whereas CNR is something that is measured before matched filter so that there will be no averaging of the noise and hence I believe CNR will be smaller compared to SNR, right? Do you know the exact relation between them?

Thanks in advance.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: What is the exact difference between CNR and SNR?
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2013, 12:47pm

hello,
Normally when you have multiple carriers (Sub Carrier Multiplexing SCM) or modulated signals CNR make sense. For example cable TV.

When you have single carrier SNR make sense. For example baseband.

Generally CNR>SNR.
http://www.cascaderange.org/presentations/CNR_vs_SNR.pdf

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
iVenky

Silicon Valley
Reply #2 - Mar 25th, 2013, 8:35pm

raja.cedt wrote on Mar 25th, 2013, 12:47pm:
hello,
Normally when you have multiple carriers (Sub Carrier Multiplexing SCM) or modulated signals CNR make sense. For example cable TV.

Generally CNR>SNR.

Thanks. Is there any exact relation between CNR and SNR? Some Mathematical relation?

View Profile   IP Logged
iVenky

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Mar 28th, 2013, 12:07am

raja.cedt wrote on Mar 25th, 2013, 12:47pm:
hello,

Generally CNR>SNR.

From that slide that you had mentioned I noticed this- CNR is something that is measured in the RF domain while SNR is measured in the baseband after demodulation, right? So if you include the noise figure of the demodulation unit the SNR should be lesser compared to CNR. Am I correct? I would like to know the exact mathematical relationship between CNR and SNR.

Thanks a lot

View Profile   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Mar 29th, 2013, 4:52am

CNR appears to be a spot noise comparison between the carrier power and the noise floor. This only works well for CW and/or really narrowband modulated carriers where the total signal power fits withing the resolution BW of the spectrum analyzer (or FFT). It is a measure and comparison of power, using the same resolution BW, at two different frequencies.

SNR compares the signal power over the modulation BW (i.e. detected signal) to the integrated noise + interference power over the same BW.

The problem with CNR is that the resolution BW (RBW) needs to be  defined or else the noise floor power measurement will be different for different RBW settings.

View Profile   IP Logged
iVenky

Silicon Valley
Reply #5 - Apr 1st, 2013, 8:19am

Interesting. So this basically depends on the resolution BW of each Spectrum Analyzer. Can't we take the BW that particular channel occupies  and find the CNR within that BW by changing the resolution BW in the Spectrum analyzer to the channel BW?

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

View Profile   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Reply #6 - Apr 7th, 2013, 7:34pm

Well, I guess it depends on what is important to the system. A really narrowband or CW signal will have the same power no matter what the resolution bandwidth is, but a widerband signal spectral density will scale with the RBW.

Put another way, if you had a CW signal then the CNR would change with RBW because the noise power measured is a function of the RBW while the CW power measured is independent of RBW. However, if everything is normalized to dBc/Hz then the RBW dependency is removed.

If you changed the RBW to the signal BW then you are effectively measuring SNR if the only interference is the noise floor and the noise outside of the channel is the same across the channel.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.