The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 11:34pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
instantaneous circuit breakdown (Read 4756 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

instantaneous circuit breakdown
Apr 24th, 2013, 1:41am

Hi all,

I have a high power circuit which breaks down in a matter of seconds upon slightly changing a bias voltage. Of the normal breakdown mechanisms experienced by mosfets, im thinking this is a gate dielectric breakdown. Other mechanisms which I know of are either result in slow degradation, or can be recovered from.

Are there any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Re: instantaneous circuit breakdown
Reply #1 - Apr 24th, 2013, 4:25am

Over voltage from drain to source could cause "punch through" where the D-S depletion regions run into each other and form a high conductance path.

I guess you could tell the difference between gate oxide breakdown and punch through by measuring the gate-source, gate-drain and drain source resistances. If the G-S and G-D resistance is high and D-S low then maybe it is punch through.

During the bias change does the gate voltage go up or down and what happens at the D and S during the change?

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2013, 8:05am

Hi RFICDUDE,

Unfortunately there's no way for me to check those things. However, isnt punchthrough recoverable from? I only made a small change in the bias point.

Thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Apr 24th, 2013, 7:23pm

I suppose the recovery is totally dependent on the maximum current drawn under the condition.

I guess the question is "what changes a lot with a small change in bias?"

Accessing the breakdown voltage conditions are fairly straight forward. Beyond that, you would look at mechanism that exponentially increase current to the point of physical breakdown.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #4 - Apr 24th, 2013, 8:38pm

got schematic, bias voltages and process limitations?

you want answers you got to give us information

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #5 - Apr 24th, 2013, 9:05pm

Hi all,

thanks for the replies.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that in my case, there's a tipping point. The current shouldn't change much as its just a small change in the biasing (and it actually shouldn't directly affect current anyway). Also, after the breakdown, the circuit no longer functions and there is a small leakage current from the supply.

From analyzing the circuit, its possibly a high VDS (punch through), a high VGD (gate dielectric), or even high current at high VDS (HCI). But my thinking is that if there isn't an enormous current, then the circuit should be able to recover from punch through. Also, HCI is more of a long-term degradation mechanism. That leaves gate dielectric breakdown. From personal experience, I feel that this is most likely the cause as the circuit will seem OK until the break point is reached, at which point it will just die...

So just curious if any other explanations are possible. Also, sorry that I can't provide schematics as its a little sensitive.

regards,
Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #6 - Apr 25th, 2013, 12:24am

Changing the bias point might result in positive feedback, perhaps based on effects that are not correctly included in your simulation models. Thermal runaway would be an example for such a problem.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #7 - Apr 25th, 2013, 7:55am

Quote:
Changing the bias point might result in positive feedback, perhaps based on effects that are not correctly included in your simulation models. Thermal runaway would be an example for such a problem.

thanks. That might be a posibility too...

Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.