The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 3rd, 2024, 3:21pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bandgap temperature sensor (Read 10608 times)
cktdesigner
Community Member

India
Bandgap temperature sensor
Apr 26th, 2013, 8:29pm

Hi all,

I need to implement a temperature sensor based on the circuit shown in the attached schematic. Unfortunately, the current flowing thru M1/M2 is not PTAT. So then how can I implement a temperature sensor based on this architecture? Any guidance will be helpful.

Thanks.

Untitled_018.png
View Profile   IP Logged
yvkrishna

Re: Bandgap temperature sensor
Reply #1 - Apr 27th, 2013, 10:36am

If you strictly need a  PTAT current for temperature sensor then probably your are with a wrong circuit.

and why do you want to use this circuit only?

b.t.w the current tempco  in the fig you posted is still a function of resistor tempco..

Regards,
yvkrishna

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2013, 1:04pm

hello,
If you don't have tough spec on temp accuracy remove R1,R2 and sense current trough M3, but finally you need dump into some resister which changes coefficient.
Please refer A CMOS temperature sensor with a 3s inaccuracy of ±0.1°C from -55°C to 125°C

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #3 - May 2nd, 2013, 11:50am

lot of process variation in temp sensors unless they are designed to remove process variance isssues. Research the papers written on the subject.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Dan Clement
Community Member

Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Reply #4 - May 3rd, 2013, 5:34am

Just feed a diode with current. Then you can quantize it directly.

The accuracy is not good but can easily be calibrated.

I agree with loose electron, research it a little. Every CMOS book has a temp sensor section.

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #5 - May 6th, 2013, 8:56am

Not sure what the process problems are - if you remove R1 and R2 the output voltage will be pretty much process independent PTAT. Opamp offset and mismatches between the resistors will dominate the errors.

Also be aware that you have to compare this voltage to something - generally you will do an A/D conversion so the reference that you use for it may be a worse source of error. Or it may give you either a trimmed Vbe or a PTAT votlage you can use since the reference voltage is Vbe+PTAT.

View Profile   IP Logged
cktdesigner
Community Member

India
Reply #6 - May 10th, 2013, 9:55pm

It is not possible to remove R1, R2 as they are involved in generating the PTAT part of the bandgap output voltage as seen in the equation below.

Untitled_004.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #7 - May 11th, 2013, 7:38am

cktdesigner wrote on May 10th, 2013, 9:55pm:
It is not possible to remove R1, R2 as they are involved in generating the PTAT part of the bandgap output voltage as seen in the equation below.

Give it a try... Note your formula reduces to Vout = (R3/R0)*ln(N)*kT/q when R1 goes to infinity (you also need to get rid of R2 or the assumption that the current in each leg is equal will be wrong). The circuit was originally designed without those resistors - in fact it was the basis for nearly all references before Banba published a paper putting them to remove the temp-co (which is something you generally don't want to do).

You really need to read some more papers on this - I would focus on the ones that either use a PTAT reference based on the voltage difference between two bipolars with different current densities (like the one I just described) or one based on Vbe. The former is sensitive to mismatches, and the latter may need calibration depending on how it is used. There have also been some papers by Kofi Makinwa's group has published several papers recently that I think use another technique that may be better but I haven't studied them.

« Last Edit: May 11th, 2013, 8:45am by RobG »  
View Profile   IP Logged
nrk1
Community Member

Reply #8 - May 12th, 2013, 7:42am

RobG wrote on May 11th, 2013, 7:38am:
cktdesigner wrote on May 10th, 2013, 9:55pm:

Give it a try... Note your formula reduces to Vout = (R3/R0)*ln(N)*kT/q when R1 goes to infinity  

RobG is right. If you need only a PTAT dependence(of current), remove R1,2. If you need a bandgap reference voltage, you need R1,2. If you need both, you'll need two separate cells like this as far as I can tell.

With R1,2 removed, the temperature dependence of current won't be strictly PTAT due to temp. variations of R0 and deviations from exponentials of transistors. If you push this current into another resistor similar to R0, the former is not an issue.

View Profile   IP Logged
Kevin Aylward
Community Member

Reply #9 - Jul 13th, 2013, 7:59am

This is a standard sub bandgap voltage reference, so I guess the poster has a requirement for sub 1V operation voltage reference. If the process actually has semi decent NPN bipolar transistors, and many “CMOS” processes actually do, then simply mirroring Q1 or Q2 to another bipolar transistor will produce a PTAT current output.

Kevin Aylward
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #10 - Aug 2nd, 2013, 7:18pm

RobG wrote on May 6th, 2013, 8:56am:
Not sure what the process problems are - if you remove R1 and R2 the output voltage will be pretty much process independent PTAT. Opamp offset and mismatches between the resistors will dominate the errors.

Also be aware that you have to compare this voltage to something - generally you will do an A/D conversion so the reference that you use for it may be a worse source of error. Or it may give you either a trimmed Vbe or a PTAT votlage you can use since the reference voltage is Vbe+PTAT.

The process variance of just the diodes vs. the bias current makes it a little more complicated.

The implementation I did on this many moons back was in the era of the Pentium I, when thermal monitors first got introduced to microprocessors.

The methodolgy used to get rid of all the calibration nonsense involved a pair of PN junctions with a geometry ration (8:1? 12:1? I forget.) and also a pair of high-low current (that was 10:1) into both of the junctions. With all that, you end up doing a set of difference measurements where most of the process dependent variables fall out of the equation, and you are left with purely a temperature dependent function. The geometry ratios and the current ratios become the control of the output differences, with all the absolutes falling out of the math.

Sorry I don't have more specifics here but I did that design way back around 1992, so the details are a little muddy.

Do a IEEEE JSSC search on this, there was a lot of temp sensor stuff done back there.

Jerry Twomey
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #11 - Aug 5th, 2013, 9:23am

loose-electron wrote on Aug 2nd, 2013, 7:18pm:

The process variance of just the diodes vs. the bias current makes it a little more complicated.

The implementation I did on this many moons back was in the era of the Pentium I, when thermal monitors first got introduced to microprocessors.

The methodolgy used to get rid of all the calibration nonsense involved a pair of PN junctions with a geometry ration (8:1? 12:1? I forget.) and also a pair of high-low current (that was 10:1) into both of the junctions. With all that, you end up doing a set of difference measurements where most of the process dependent variables fall out of the equation, and you are left with purely a temperature dependent function. The geometry ratios and the current ratios become the control of the output differences, with all the absolutes falling out of the math.

Sorry I don't have more specifics here but I did that design way back around 1992, so the details are a little muddy.

Do a IEEEE JSSC search on this, there was a lot of temp sensor stuff done back there.

I've done quite a few since '92 - the voltage difference between two PN junctions is PTAT and independent of process as long as they are biased reasonably (no low/high level injection, base IR drop is negligible, etc). You still need to compare this voltage to a reference (like a bandgap reference) if you want a digital answer. This reference will need to be trimmed to eliminate process dependence.

rg

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #12 - Aug 5th, 2013, 5:51pm

RobG wrote on Aug 5th, 2013, 9:23am:
loose-electron wrote on Aug 2nd, 2013, 7:18pm:

I've done quite a few since '92 - the voltage difference between two PN junctions is PTAT and independent of process as long as they are biased reasonably (no low/high level injection, base IR drop is negligible, etc). You still need to compare this voltage to a reference (like a bandgap reference) if you want a digital answer. This reference will need to be trimmed to eliminate process dependence.

rg

Thanks Rob!

Jerry Twomey
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.