The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 3:31am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Breaking loop with for stb analysis (Read 1806 times)
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Breaking loop with for stb analysis
May 28th, 2013, 11:01am

I'm using the analogLib/cmdmprobe to find phase margin in a fully differential opamp (capacitive feedback) using stb analysis. Supposedly it doesn't matter where in the loop you insert it as long as you aren't inside a local loop... however when I put it at the front of the opamp I get a loop gain of 47 dB, whereas if I put it at the output of the opamp I get 45.3 dB. The response after 1GHz (2x my unity gain bandwidth) is also very slightly different. Otherwise the responses roll off at same rate and cross 0dB at the same point so the calculated phase margin is the same

I've looks for parasitics forming a local loop but just can't see any.

My interest is academic (I don't trust the models enough to believe either answer to that precision). Does it actually matter where the cmdmprobe is placed?

Best regards,
Rob

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Re: Breaking loop with for stb analysis
Reply #1 - May 29th, 2013, 5:05am

The cmdmprobe is obsolete, you should use the diffstbprobe instead. The cmdmprobe only works properly for perfectly symmetric circuits.

Without a schematic, it's very difficult to tell where the difference you see might come from.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.