The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 11:12pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LNA's Noise Figure (Read 2176 times)
DDC

LNA's Noise Figure
Jun 17th, 2013, 5:04am

Hello,

I simulated the noise figure of a lna in cadence spectre, on time with s-parameter analysis and a second time with noise analysis. It seems that when I use voltage at the output and input port with 50 Ohm the noise differs from that of the s-parameter analysis, where I choosed an input and an output port. Only when I use also the port as output probe in noise analysis the noise figures are the same. Can somebody tell me why is there a difference between the noise figures of the 2 analysis ? Thanks for response.

View Profile   IP Logged
rfidea

Europe
Re: LNA's Noise Figure
Reply #1 - Jun 17th, 2013, 11:05am

I can think of two reasons.

1. When you say you have a voltage as output does you load the LNA with a resistor? If not the different loads can of course give different noise figure.

2. If you load the LNA output with a resistor when not using a port the noise from that resistor will be included in the noise sum. The same noise from the port is not part of the noise sum, per definition of noise figure.

View Profile   IP Logged
DDC

Re: LNA's Noise Figure
Reply #2 - Jun 19th, 2013, 6:24am

I loaded also the transistor with a 50 Ohm noisefree resistor. There is always the same effect.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.