The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 5th, 2024, 7:17pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Amplifier design for a 2GHz signal (Read 2279 times)
mtp3

Amplifier design for a 2GHz signal
Jun 23rd, 2013, 9:06am

Hi!

I have just finished designing a 2GHz PLL using a STM process and I hope to tapeout design soon. Anyways the problem I am facing is a bit ambiguous for me. Looking at the published papers from IEEE it is seen that almost all the PLL papers have a picture of VCO phase noise.

My question, How is this phase noise measured either by driving the VCO output off-chip and then measuring or some other technique. If the VCO output is pushed off chip then what kind of amplifier should be used so as not to worsens the phase noise during this process. The VCO output itself is a 2GHz sine-signal with a 700mV p-p amplitude.

Thanks in advance

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: Amplifier design for a 2GHz signal
Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2013, 10:07am

Hello,
Several ways....
1. As you said drive VCO through a buffer and measure (extra power due to high speed buffer design).

2. After some frequency division, which is realistic in any PLL(here you have to correct the phase noise by 20*log10(N)).

3. Directly measuring PLL phase noise and get some information about VCO phase noise beyond loop BW .

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
mtp3

Reply #2 - Jun 24th, 2013, 6:12am

Many thanks for the reply Raj, I get what you are saying but have some reservations

1) Driving the output via buffers would degrade the phase noise due to the power supply variation of the buffers (because of driving a high freq signal).

2)Dividing by 2 improves the phase by 6dbc but I have not seen any papers where this is done. Usually in papers one sees a picture of a spectrum analyzer showing the output frequency and phase noise at some offset.

3)How can one directly measure the phase noise, could you explain a bit more.

Regards,
MTP3

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #3 - Jun 24th, 2013, 6:28am

1. Power supply variation will be there, but you can minimize through decaps and all. Moreover most of the supply noise will be like spur rather random so you can ignore.
2.Here i am not talking about improvement, it simplifies the a measurement. recently razavi made 300GHZ vco, he measured through dividers and many people do this. read some more papers...
3.didn't  get what you are asking...

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.