The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 5th, 2024, 9:23am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Using decoupling/bypass capacitor (Read 2129 times)
Evgenii
Community Member

Using decoupling/bypass capacitor
Jun 30th, 2013, 12:27am

Hi folks!
Frequently designers are using decoupling/bypass capacitor in analog design. For instance, in current mirrors: from common gates point to GND/VDD or  from biasing point of cascode to GND/VDD. It good practice for filling empty places of layout, for example  in standard cells =). But, really, how much value of capacitor is needed? Is hard to predict, where is standard cell will be used. Say, what a generator will be closed to this cell?...
Moreover, the decoupling/bypass capacitors in parallel with transistors with some gm and have ESR and ESL parasitics...
Please, explain for me simple (or not) method for calculate required values of decoupling/bypass capacitor (say for protection from  generator on few MHz) or some common method for STD cells... Otherwise, using the capacitor for this case is only eating of chip area... Angry
First of all, please  explain me nature of bypass/decoupling protection...
Thanks! Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Using decoupling/bypass capacitor
Reply #1 - Jun 30th, 2013, 9:50pm

I have just such a document for board design. Perhaps that will help.

http://www.designers-guide.org/Design/bypassing.pdf

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.