The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 4th, 2024, 7:12am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
gm-c filter OIP3 simulation result (Read 7177 times)
abcyin_DG

gm-c filter OIP3 simulation result
Jul 08th, 2013, 7:39pm

Hi all,

the attached is the oip3 simulation result of a Gm-C filter, it's confusing that the IM3 is away from 3× slope line, and not smooth at all, could anyone explain it to me the reason?

Thanks in advance

IMG_1442.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: gm-c filter OIP3 simulation result
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2013, 9:19pm

Hi,

I suggest you run the simulation from a lower power level where you should get the correct slope. Higher order odd nonlinearity also results in 2*f2- f1 IM3 components but with different slope. For example, a 5th order nonlinearity will still produce IM3 but with a slope of 5dB/dB. So when the amplifier is heavily non-linear, high-order nonlinearity can cause the slope to go haywire.

That's my initial guess. It could be due to something else though.

regards,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
abcyin_DG

Reply #2 - Jul 8th, 2013, 10:27pm

Thanks for the reply,
As the IM3 could be buried in the noise when the simulation started from a lower level, it still couldn't give the correct slope at this power level.

And I tried to involve less intermodulation products during the simulation, but still results the similar result, thus to say, the higher order intermodulation products don't give much influence as we expected.

And do you think it's because of the gm-C structure, because other circuits will not give such kind of results, for example VGA.

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #3 - Jul 9th, 2013, 12:27am

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #4 - Jul 9th, 2013, 12:34am

Hi,

I guess we can't know unless you post the schematic. There is some discussion on this forum about IM3 results showing the wrong slope even at low power when using BSIM models, but this is for transistors biased in the deep triode region so it might not apply to your circuit. If you have PSP models, you could try using them.

What do you mean by buried in the noise? There isn't any noise in the simulation. If you are talking about the simulator accuracy, you can try increasing the accuracy setting to conservative for example.

If you say that the slope is wrong even at low power levels then it shouldn't be due to high-order harmonics.

regards,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
abcyin_DG

Reply #5 - Jul 9th, 2013, 12:46am

Hi,

The reason I think IM3 would be buried in the noise is as follows:
For example, when I was simulating a circuit, I would expect that the IM3 curve would be flat in the low input power range, and then with 3× slope in some power range, then saturate finally. I think the flat IM3 range is due to the circuit-self noise, even I set the accuracy mode to conservative, as always the filter itself contributes lots of noise.

So how do you think?

BR

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #6 - Jul 9th, 2013, 2:20am

Hi BR,

that would be true in measurement, but in simulation, noise has to be simulated seperately. You only see circuit noise when you run noise simulations like "noise", "pnoise", or "transient noise". I'm not too sure about the whole matter, but I believe the "noise floor" you see in simulation is due to numerical inaccuracy related to the limited number of bits used in calculations. I don't remember the numbers, but I believe that "noise floor" is a lot lower than the -50 dBm I see in your plot.

cheers,
Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
abcyin_DG

Reply #7 - Jul 9th, 2013, 2:33am

Thus, Could you tell me how to increase the accuracy besides setting to conservative?

BR

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #8 - Jul 9th, 2013, 5:55pm

Here is what I found through a quick search online...

http://www.designers-guide.org/books/dg-spice/chA.pdf

Why don't you post the plot with the input starting from a much lower value...btw, seems that the numerical noise floor may be due to the point where your accuracy setting tells the simulator that the tolerance is acceptable enough and stops the simulation.

Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
abcyin_DG

Reply #9 - Jul 9th, 2013, 9:46pm

aaron_do wrote on Jul 9th, 2013, 5:55pm:
Here is what I found through a quick search online...

http://www.designers-guide.org/books/dg-spice/chA.pdf

Why don't you post the plot with the input starting from a much lower value...btw, seems that the numerical noise floor may be due to the point where your accuracy setting tells the simulator that the tolerance is acceptable enough and stops the simulation.

Aaron

Thanks, Aaron, I set the accuracy to much tighter, as the document tells, I do see the difference, the output from a lower input power decreases as the accuracy increases, so I'm sure now it's all because of the accuracy, but not the noise.

Best wishes,
Li

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.