The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 11:18pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ring oscillator phase noise problem (Read 3988 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Ring oscillator phase noise problem
Jul 09th, 2013, 10:25pm

Hi all,

I designed a ring oscillator using 40nm CMOS technology, and I noticed that the noise plateaus around 100kHz and below. Above 100 kHz it has a 1/f2 shape. Has anybody encountered this phenomenon before?

I tried taking the basic transconductor cell and simulating it using noise analysis, and the flicker noise is still there.

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Ring oscillator phase noise problem
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2013, 2:06am

See http://www.designers-guide.org/Theory/cyclo-preso.pdf. Particularly the discussion of linewidth on page 30.

-Ken

« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2013, 4:44am by Ken Kundert »  
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #2 - Jul 10th, 2013, 2:14am

Thanks for the reply....

I just found the problem. I had "lorentzian" selected in the pnoise options. It resulted in the phase noise flattening out at lower frequencies.

Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #3 - Jul 10th, 2013, 2:45am

Hi Ken,

seems that you might mean I should look at page 31 right? It says that the phase noise as expressed as a voltage spectrum should flatten out near the carrier. Does this have anything to do with selecting "lorentzian" in the pnoise options?

I wonder what is the relevance of this? Since for my application I am concerned with jitter, I guess I should be more concerned with phase noise as expressed as phase rather than voltage.

thanks,
Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #4 - Jul 10th, 2013, 4:52am

Small signal methods do not naturally predict the flattening at low frequencies. However, the latest versions of the various RF simulators fit a Lorentzian shape to the data, which then shows the flattening.

I recommend that you read the entire paper and try to understand cyclostationary noise as a whole. It is hard for me to give you guidance on this subject with just a few sentences. You really need to understand the subtleties to assure you are doing everything correctly.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #5 - Jul 10th, 2013, 9:15pm

Ok. Thanks for the help.

Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.