The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 18th, 2024, 8:49pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
"XXX is not a kept output" in Direct Plot after pnoise, pxf, etc. anal (Read 4106 times)
jqjqjq

"XXX is not a kept output" in Direct Plot after pnoise, pxf, etc. anal
Jul 13th, 2013, 2:22am

Dear all,

I am using IC5141 on redhat to simulate some oscillator, and I use pxf as well as pnoise for my circuit analysis. However, after simulation, when I want to plot, e.g., conversion gain after pxf, or time domain noise after pnoise, it tells me "XXX is not a kept output" when I choose the terminal of the device or the device itself.

I tried to choose everything possible in "SaveAll", it doesn't work.

I tried to use "To Be Saved", it doesn't work.

This problem always occurred when the device was chosen from the technology library. So I changed to use inductor from analogLib, and it worked.

I believe that the problem really has something to do with the model library, but I don't know what can I do to save it. Shall I change the CDF, or something else?

For pxf problem, I could add vdc in series or idc in parallel from analogLib, but for pnoise problem, what should I do?

Here is an example of my problem.

The first graph shows my pnoise time domain analysis setting.

The second graph shows the SaveAll option.

The third graph shows the ToBeSaved option.

The fourth graph shows the plot error in Direct Plot Main Form.

Thank you all in advance for any helpful advice.

jqjqjq

PS: How to insert a figure in the text, or attach four figures in the post?

View Profile jqjqjq   IP Logged
jqjqjq

Re: "XXX is not a kept output" in Direct Plot after pnoise, pxf, etc. anal
Reply #1 - Jul 16th, 2013, 1:37am

I have solved the problem. I will give a general solution here, as well as relative details that how did I solved the problem.

Firstly, I want to mention that it is not due to the Technology Library. I tried another technology, the problem still exists, only with some minor difference that the new tech inductors are bad that they are not kept a output, while the new tech mosfets are good and time domain phase noise contributed by them can be plotted.

Secondly, I compared the expressions that can be plotted with those can not be plotted. The plottable expressions are, e.g.

【a】Idd = real(value(i("/VVDD/MINUS" ?result "pss_fd") 0))

【b】Output Noise (V^2/Hz) = value(pow(getData("out" ?result "pnoise_td") 2) 1000000)

while the unplottable expressions include

【c】Noise Contributed by /NM1 = value(pow(pv("/NM1" "total" ?result "pnoise_td") 1) 1000000).

The warning comes that pow(nil 1) is wrong, pow can not handle nil. I first type pv("/NM1" "total" ?result "pnoise_td") in CIW, and the messages seems to be messy. So I get to Results Browser (ADE→Tools→Results Browser...). Now, in ~/simulation/......../schematic/psf → pnoise-timedomain.pnoise, it contains "out", this is why expression 【b】 is plottable. On the other hand, in expression 【c】, the function 'pv' can not find a file named "total", which is in the directory down one level, such as "NM1/main". This leads to the error.

Next, I found the pv function in the software document "$CDSHOME/doc/oceanref/oceanref.pdf", page 159. I tried to replace "/NM1" by "/NM1/main", and tried to replace "total" by "main/total" "./main/total", and tried to use "?resultsDir" etc., but they did not work.

Finally and most important, I went back to Results Browser, and find the noise file named "total" below "/NM1/main", right mouse button click the file "total", click "calculator". Now the correct expression is in calculator, which should be :

pv("NM1.main" "total" ?result "pnoise-timedomain.pnoise").

The pxf problem can also be solved this way to a certain extent, with the exception that, in pxf-pxf, there might be no result for some terminal, such as "L1/PLUS", but only some others like "C1/PLUS". Then it seems you have to add some vdc in series or idc in parallel with the inductor L1.

In a word:

(1) use "Results Browser" to open the psf;
(2) find the result file, like "total" "fn" etc. under the component directory;
(3) right mouse button click the file and click "calculator".

Then you will get the correct expression.

BTW, it should be emphasized that main noise is not total noise contributed by mosfet, which should be obvious.

jqjqjq
July 16 2013

View Profile jqjqjq   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.