The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 11:21pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
class E PA (Read 3573 times)
grosser
Community Member

class E PA
Jul 19th, 2013, 11:05am

hello,

Can you advice any circuit solution which could help achieve good harmonics supression in such circuit ?
I mean harmonics in RFC current.

bests

grosser

classE.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: class E PA
Reply #1 - Jul 21st, 2013, 8:15pm

I thought RF chokes normally give a constant current?

Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
grosser
Community Member

Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2013, 12:54am

and that's it ?
is that all of your help ?

it gives a constant current if it's not switched like in this case.

grosser

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #3 - Jul 22nd, 2013, 1:58am

OK fair enough, it wasn't much help  :P

But if it is really acting like an RFC, I think it is still supposed to provide constant current right? What I'm getting at is are you really using an RFC? Because I've seen several works using bonding wires trying to emulate RFCs. Or maybe you're saying that it is an RFC, but its not ideal, so there's still some harmonic current flowing through? Correct me if I'm wrong here.

In terms of minimizing harmonics, the methods that come to mind involve Push-Pull structures, changing the terminating impedance, using a more linear class of operation, some kind of pre-distortion, or negative feedback. For class E PAs, I'm not sure which of those apply, because you need specific current and voltage waveforms to get good efficiency. Maybe you could define the scope of your problem more completely...

Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
grosser
Community Member

Reply #4 - Jul 22nd, 2013, 2:38am

OK fair enough, it wasn't much help  :P

;)

aaron_do wrote on Jul 22nd, 2013, 1:58am:
But if it is really acting like an RFC, I think it is still supposed to provide constant current right? What I'm getting at is are you really using an RFC? Because I've seen several works using bonding wires trying to emulate RFCs. Or maybe you're saying that it is an RFC, but its not ideal, so there's still some harmonic current flowing through? Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Aaron

Yes. You're completely right. I forgot to remove RFC from jpeg.

In terms of minimizing harmonics, the methods that come to mind involve Push-Pull structures, changing the terminating impedance, using a more linear class of operation, some kind of pre-distortion, or negative feedback. For class E PAs, I'm not sure which of those apply, because you need specific current and voltage waveforms to get good efficiency. Maybe you could define the scope of your problem more completely...

The inductance i use is specified to be a short range antenna, to power up sensors when are in its range.
It's driven by 10MHz sqare wave and the antenna propagates awful harmonics upto 1G

grosser

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #5 - Jul 22nd, 2013, 4:51am

Hi,

it looks like whatever you do you are gonna sacrifice efficiency. Is the design supposed to be fully integrated or are you simply trying to patch up your current design? Also, how much power are we talking?

If its only 10 MHz, you can use SMD capacitors/inductors to design an LC filter. Or maybe you can just not drive it so hard (or not with a square wave).

Anyway, I think you will need to give more information if you want a better answer.

cheers,
Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.