The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 7:25pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to compute values for T network in the power amplifier? (Read 2727 times)
baab

EA
How to compute values for T network in the power amplifier?
Aug 21st, 2013, 9:35am

Hi,
I am learning about RF power amplifier from a paper "Design of 2.1GHz RF CMOS PowerAmplifierfor 3G". I want to simulate it in Cadence but there are no specific values for components. Now I am wanting to compute value of components and power gain.
The picture is an RF power amplifier class AB with two stages.
C1, C2, and L1 is an input matching network. The voltage source has resistance Rs = 50Ω. I want to compute values of C1, C2, and L1 but I got stuck.
Could you guide me on this? Thanks.

RF_PA_paper.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: How to compute values for T network in the power amplifier?
Reply #1 - Aug 21st, 2013, 5:51pm

Hi,

in the first place, you need to know what your load impedance is. In your case its not obvious because the only real resistance is coming from the transistor. So you will have to simulate it.

T-networks are just back-to-back L-match networks. So if you know how to design an L-match, its just a simple matter of deciding the intermediate impedance. There's tons of material online which you can reference and here's one I found at random:

http://rf-circuits.info/radio/impedance-matching/pi-matching/

regards,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
baab

EA
Reply #2 - Aug 21st, 2013, 5:59pm

Thank you, arron_do.
Quote:
in the first place, you need to know what your load impedance is. In your case its not obvious because the only real resistance is coming from the transistor. So you will have to simulate it.

Yes, that is my confusion. I have searched for model of MOS at high frequency and I see there is only Cgs. Do you mean that I need to simulate the input impedance of the transistor? How about if the input resistance of the transistor is purely imaginary?
And I am a bit confused about if components in T network is not ideal. It means that there is a resistance in each component. Then it is not T network at all and how can I calculate them?
Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #3 - Aug 22nd, 2013, 7:05am

Hi,

if you're talking about designing a matching network for maximum power transfer, then you need to have some real part to the load impedance. Its a simple matter of only real loads dissipate power, and therefore, you can't talk about transferring power without a real load.

The MOSFET's input impedance is a capacitor with a small series resistance. The ratio of the capacitor's impedance to the small series resistance is equal to a Q value. At frequencies well below the fT of the device, this Q is very large, and its not practical to match this impedance since the matching network components are likely to have even lower Q than the load. If you look at most LNA designs, the matching works by deliberately introducing some resistance to the MOSFET's input impedance, usually by negative feedback.

For the PA, if S11 is important, then you need to introduce some real resistance to match to. A simple method is just to use a resistor. Alternatively, you can rely on the finite Q of the matching network components.

For the non-ideal components of the T network, their Q is probably high enough that you can ignore the resistive part. A little bit of iteration may be necessary, but using the smith chart will make it easy. In PA design, its important to get high Q components especially in the later stages of the PA, as they will dissipate power, and degrade your efficiency.

If you try simulating the circuits, I think you will understand this a lot easier. Also, when it comes to matching, the smith chart is your friend...

regards,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.