The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 1st, 2024, 11:13pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ADC performance impact from narrow band rms jitter on sample CK (Read 1923 times)
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

ADC performance impact from narrow band rms jitter on sample CK
Sep 08th, 2013, 9:11pm

The impact of sample clock jitter on ADC SNR is well described in many papers can be found by google.

However, I never see discussion covering one case that puzzles me:

when the jitter is a narrow band (< 1MHz) gaussian noise and input signal is a sin wave. The ADC output is essentially the PSD of the sampling sin clock with its phase noise.

Since ADC's output is discrete, its PSD is plotted after FFT processing.

My question is: if the FFT bin size is larger or comparable to the bandwidth of phase noise, then all the noise may fall into this signal bin and the result may appear to be jitter free.

Any thoughts? Is my concern valid?

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: ADC performance impact from narrow band rms jitter on sample CK
Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2013, 6:10pm

Hi,

I'm no expert in this matter, but I think the signal would just get spread even more. I think you are just convolving your frequency domain signal with the frequency domain version of the windowing function.

regards,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.