The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 24th, 2024, 10:19am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
quadrature generation (Read 2090 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

quadrature generation
Sep 11th, 2013, 8:17pm

Hi all,

I am designing a quadrature signal generator using a divide-by-2 circuit. As I understand it, compared to a RC phase shifter, one drawback of the div-2 IQ generator is that there is no certainty in which signal is I and which is Q. In a phase shifter, each RC provides a 90 degree phase shift, so if you assign one line to 0 degrees, you know exactly which one is -90 degrees. Whereas in a div-2 circuit, whether a line is +90 or -90 degrees depends on the initial state of the flip-flop.

So my question is, in what applications is this important? For instance, I think in a image-reject mixer, if you mix up your I and Q, you will end up selecting the wrong sideband. Are there other important applications anyone can mention?

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.