The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 1st, 2024, 5:16am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Opamp Offset for Voltage reference (Read 1988 times)
Mikay
Community Member

Opamp Offset for Voltage reference
Sep 30th, 2013, 7:42pm

Here is the issue for my CMOS bulk bandgap. When I change the power supply from 3.2v to 5v. The volatge regerence changes about 6mV. I guess it is due to Opamp offset. When I use another Oapmp. The output show no power supply dependence. Both Opamp has 60dB gain.

Does anybody know Opamp offset is related to the power supply? suppose 1v power supply difference. The systematic offset of the Opamp can vary 1/1000(60dB)~=1mV. The 1mV offset then is amplified by the closed loop and so impact the finial regerence output.

Is my understanding right? if so. How to minimize the systematic offset of the Opamp. Different Opamp has different offset. How much different for different Oapmp. How to choose the right Opamp for Bandgap design.

Thanks for your time.
-Mikay

View Profile   IP Logged
boe
Community Fellow

Re: Opamp Offset for Voltage reference
Reply #1 - Oct 1st, 2013, 1:53am

Mikay wrote on Sep 30th, 2013, 7:42pm:
Does anybody know Opamp offset is related to the power supply? suppose 1v power supply difference. The systematic offset of the Opamp can vary 1/1000(60dB)~=1mV. The 1mV offset then is amplified by the closed loop and so impact the finial regerence output.

Is my understanding right? ...
No. You want to look for the PSRR.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #2 - Oct 1st, 2013, 5:21am

I guess it is not only because of opamp, just to confirm replace op amp with ideal VCVS and run the sim, if you don't get any dependency then opamp is the culprit, But many times it is because of BGR pmos gds change also (again it depends on the architecture)

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
avlsi
Community Member

singapore
Reply #3 - Oct 1st, 2013, 6:31am

Changing the power supply might have changed the VDS across current sources, resulting in increasing or decreasing current and there by changing your reference voltage!!

Winners never Quit,Quitters never Win
View Profile   IP Logged
Mikay
Community Member

Reply #4 - Oct 1st, 2013, 7:07pm

The Opamp has to supply much current to the bandgap. One of the Opamp gain decrease too much when source 200uA current to BGR. So the loop gain deteriates... It's PSR issue.I adopt a class AB Opamp to drive BGR. Then PSR becomes good. Thanks for your hint.boe wrote on Oct 1st, 2013, 1:53am:
Mikay wrote on Sep 30th, 2013, 7:42pm:

Is my understanding right? ...
No. You want to look for the PSRR.

View Profile   IP Logged
Mikay
Community Member

Reply #5 - Oct 1st, 2013, 7:10pm

Thanks raja. My Opamp directly drive the PNP and resistor and feed current to them.raja.cedt wrote on Oct 1st, 2013, 5:21am:
I guess it is not only because of opamp, just to confirm replace op amp with ideal VCVS and run the sim, if you don't get any dependency then opamp is the culprit, But many times it is because of BGR pmos gds change also (again it depends on the architecture)

View Profile   IP Logged
Mikay
Community Member

Reply #6 - Oct 1st, 2013, 7:15pm

Yes avlsi and this is usually also the path introducing PSR issue!avlsi wrote on Oct 1st, 2013, 6:31am:
Changing the power supply might have changed the VDS across current sources, resulting in increasing or decreasing current and there by changing your reference voltage!!

View Profile   IP Logged
Larry_80
Community Member

Reply #7 - Oct 12th, 2013, 9:01pm

Why dont you cascode your PMOS...like some suggesed, your PMOS current source seems sensitive to VDS......so a good way to mediate that is to add another PMOS stack.

View Profile   IP Logged
Mikay
Community Member

Reply #8 - Oct 14th, 2013, 7:57pm

These PMOS slow down the settling time while I need a pretty fast start-up.Larry_80 wrote on Oct 12th, 2013, 9:01pm:
Why dont you cascode your PMOS...like some suggesed, your PMOS current source seems sensitive to VDS......so a good way to mediate that is to add another PMOS stack.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.