The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 1:41am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cases design for RF product (simulation softwares) (Read 1618 times)
Tarikm

Morocco
Cases design for RF product (simulation softwares)
Oct 15th, 2013, 4:14am

Hi everyone,
We are working on a RF bluetooth product, the first proposed design for the case was some kind of Aluminum cylinder, I think this design will create a lot of troubles since the RF antenna will be printed on the PCB and the Al case will act like a shield for electromagnetic waves.

Is putting a big enough cavity on the design helpful to avoid such problems ? and what are the best suited simulation softwares to use for simulating the case effect (if there is a free software it will be great).

Thank you for your help

View Profile   IP Logged
harpoon

Hampshire
Re: Cases design for RF product (simulation softwares)
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2013, 2:28am

I have not done such large scale modelling before ... but half the battle is setting up the simulator and the test bench.

I am guessing something like HFSS will do it, probably ADS Momentum (pricey)

Mentor has some 2.5D/3D solvers for PCB ... can't remember what is called.

Probably have something in Cadence as well ...

On the lower end, maybe Eagle ?

And the free ones ... maybe, just maybe ASITIC or FastHenry can give some guidance (they were written for inductor extraction/modelling).

good luck !

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.