The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 10:41am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Input referred noise of a MOSFET (Read 5388 times)
Hrishikesh

Input referred noise of a MOSFET
Oct 16th, 2013, 1:55am

Hi..

Through an ac simulation, I see that the input referred noise of a MOSFET reduces with increasing frequency, stays constant for some range, and again rolls off at about 1-10 GHz. I understand that low frequency noise is dominated by flicker noise and the frequency independent part is thermal noise. Can anyone tell me why it should further decrease at high frequencies?

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: Input referred noise of a MOSFET
Reply #1 - Oct 16th, 2013, 2:51am

How did you simulated, please show me the spice setup. Please try to simulate y21(short circuit current gain).

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
harpoon

Hampshire
Reply #2 - Oct 17th, 2013, 2:33am

sounds like there is some low pass filter in the simulation ...

as raj mentioned, post the schematic/spice netlist and we may be able to help ...

View Profile   IP Logged
Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Reply #3 - Oct 17th, 2013, 4:08am

Could be in model parasitic gate resistance/capacitance.

View Profile   IP Logged
Hrishikesh

Reply #4 - Oct 17th, 2013, 10:03pm

Thanks for the responses. The netlist is very simple. I have an 50x1 NMOS with the drain connected to 5V supply through a 10K noiseless resistor. The source is grounded and the gate is biased at 0.8V. I am doing an AC simulation by sweeping the frequency. To get the input referred noise in V/sqrt(Hz), I am dividing the total noise at the output by the amplifier gain.

It appears that the effect is due to the Cgd of the NMOS. Because, the roll off frequency reduces as I connect a capacitor between the gate and drain. I can also see a zero present at that frequency. But I always thought that the input referred thermal noise is 4kT*2/(3gm) V2/Hz. It would be great if any of you can throw some light on the effect of Cgd.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.