The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 25th, 2024, 4:24pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Differential Difference Amplifier (Read 5801 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Differential Difference Amplifier
Oct 25th, 2013, 2:09am

Hi all,

I'm looking to design a closed loop differential-in, single-ended out unity gain amplifier. It needs to have very good CMRR. One way to design such a circuit is to use an instrumentation amplifier. However, an instrumentation amplifier drives resistive loads in the first stage, making it a little power hungry. I found such a circuit can also be designed using a differential difference amplifier with feedback.

Does anybody have any experience with this circuit? How does it compare to a normal op-amp in unity-gain feedback in terms of accuracy. Alternatively, does anybody know of other good options?

Any feedback is appreciated.

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
wave

Silicon Valley
Re: Differential Difference Amplifier
Reply #1 - Oct 25th, 2013, 10:47am

Sure, I've designed one with a cascoded current mirror.  Just tack on another Diff pair.  Mine was fully diff'l so I spend a lot of time on CMFB amps.  You should get similar specs to any similar amp of the same technology.  Make sure the CM of input 1 is similar to CM of input 2.

Ref:  Sackinger

Good luck,
Wave   Cheesy

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #2 - Oct 27th, 2013, 7:55am

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I've read that paper. Its interesting. I've just got this feeling that I'm not going to get the same kind of performance as a typical opamp in feedback. I guess I need to do some analysis.

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
shaikss_rf

Reply #3 - Nov 26th, 2013, 3:39am

aaron_do wrote on Oct 27th, 2013, 7:55am:
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I've read that paper. Its interesting. I've just got this feeling that I'm not going to get the same kind of performance as a typical opamp in feedback. I guess I need to do some analysis.

thanks,
Aaron

For one of my designs, I need to design a Instrumentation amplifier using DDA approach. Can you pls throw some light on this?

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #4 - Nov 27th, 2013, 12:25am

Hi,

do you have any specific questions? I referred to a paper in ieeexplore. Just search for Differential Difference Amplifier...

Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
shaikss_rf

Reply #5 - Nov 29th, 2013, 2:14am

Hi,

I, too, referred an IEEE paper. I am designing an Instrumentation amplifier using DDA approach. I tried to optimize the circuit to get desired results but phase margin is very bad. I have attached the circuit and plot.
1.zip  

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #6 - Nov 29th, 2013, 2:24am

Hi shaikss_rf,

I suggest you attach the images directly to the post, instead of using a zip file.

Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.