The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 7:31pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Noise isolation using back to back diodes across different power domains (Read 729 times)
petitivoire

Noise isolation using back to back diodes across different power domains
Nov 15th, 2013, 2:25pm

Hi,
I was reading some documentation on ESD designs today and came across something that I don't quite understand. The text said that the back to back diodes used across different power domains provide noise isolation.  

Can someone explain that to me or point me to some reference material?
How exactly is the noise from the different domains isolated?

Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: Noise isolation using back to back diodes across different power domains
Reply #1 - Nov 21st, 2013, 6:06pm

Are they talking about substrate isolation? Analog and digital domains are usually substrate isolated using back to back diodes...

Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
petitivoire

Re: Noise isolation using back to back diodes across different power domains
Reply #2 - Nov 29th, 2013, 8:50am

They were actually talking about substrate noise isolation. From what they're talking about, the back to back serves two purposes. It allows an ESD network to be designed for chips that have multiple power/gnd domains and at the same time provides substrate noise isolation. So I just stuck a back to back diode in my design and it's fine except at a semiconductor physics level, I'd like to visualize or understand how we achieve the noise isolation.

Thanks for your response.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.