The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 15th, 2024, 2:18pm
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How to block RF signal? (Read 11914 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: How to block RF signal?
Reply #15 - Nov 19th, 2013, 10:18pm

Hi,

you can use a -ve charge pump. It requires a ring oscillator an the charge pump itself. Why do you need a minimum number of components? You're in the wrong design age if you're worried about complexity. Problem is it needs to be on as long as you want to enable/disable, so power consumption is an issue.

I still don't get why you're so keen on using PMOS...

Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
shaikss_rf

Reply #16 - Nov 19th, 2013, 10:27pm

aaron_do wrote on Nov 19th, 2013, 10:18pm:
Hi,

you can use a -ve charge pump. It requires a ring oscillator an the charge pump itself. Why do you need a minimum number of components? You're in the wrong design age if you're worried about complexity. Problem is it needs to be on as long as you want to enable/disable, so power consumption is an issue.

I still don't get why you're so keen on using PMOS...

Aaron

I am not worried about circuit complexity. I am worried about power consumption. Since it is  a passive tag and it harvests energy, whatever power I harvest, some of the harvested energy is utilized for Chargepump and other devices.

Even I am not keen about PMOS. As u said, it is PMOS or NMOS, I need voltage source. The only Q is who wil provide the voltage.

During energy harvesting, Rf input signal is in the order of few mV and the control voltage for NMOS SPDT switch is more than the peak of the RF input.

I am thinking of using a start-up circuit to generate required voltage for SPDT switch. Once I get some voltage, then I can enable/disable the switching scheme.

Pls correct me if I am wrong.

View Profile   IP Logged
shaikss_rf

Reply #17 - Nov 20th, 2013, 1:50am

Hi,

I have one basic query. For NMOS, bulk is connected to Vss and PMOS is connected to Vdd.

In case of ac signals, RF signal goes negative. In such scenarios, the most negative voltage is the negative peak of RF signal.

How should the bulk connected in such scenarios?

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #18 - Nov 20th, 2013, 1:57am

I think you should try reading my earlier replies. I told you the answer several times.

Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
shaikss_rf

Reply #19 - Nov 20th, 2013, 2:26am

aaron_do wrote on Nov 20th, 2013, 1:57am:
I think you should try reading my earlier replies. I told you the answer several times.

Aaron

Sorry for repeatedly asking the same.
I understood your point - Pull-up or down to either S/D terminal.
But though I do, pull-up /down, I see bulk current.

Earlier, when I connected bulks to ground, I could see bulk current of 200uA. So, I thought of nullifying it. I tried to do pull up/down, but no significant result.

Not getting how to solve.

View Profile   IP Logged
shaikss_rf

Reply #20 - Nov 20th, 2013, 2:40am

shaikss_rf wrote on Nov 20th, 2013, 2:26am:
aaron_do wrote on Nov 20th, 2013, 1:57am:

Aaron

Sorry for repeatedly asking the same.
I understood your point - Pull-up or down to either S/D terminal.
But though I do, pull-up /down, I see bulk current.

Earlier, when I connected bulks to ground, I could see bulk current of 2uA. So, I thought of nullifying it. I tried to do pull up/down, but no significant result.

Not getting how to solve.

This is how bulk currents are...
7.png  

7.png
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.