The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 2nd, 2024, 5:17am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Brokaw's Bandgap loop stability (Read 3421 times)
aks

Bangalore
Brokaw's Bandgap loop stability
Nov 21st, 2013, 6:23am

Hi

Need some help in understanding Brokaw's bandgap cell. As far as my understanding in Bandgap circuit there are two feedbacks (+ve and -ve both) but -ve feedback should be the dominant in order to have stable circuit. But by looking at picture below (from brokaw's bandgap paper) it appears that loop formed by vout--> Q2--> -ve i/p of opamp to vout should be -ve feedback as it has larger feedback factor compared to the loop formed by vout--> Q1--> +ve i/p of opamp to vout.
But loop formed by vout->Q2-->-ve i/p opamp->vout suggests it has 360 deg phase shift (base to collector of BJT 180 deg + Opamp =180deg). If so the how is this circuit stable and how does it correct itself to vout=Bandgap ref?
Please enlighten me on this and correct me if I am missing any basic.

Thanks
AKS

Brokaw_BGR_doubt.png
View Profile amitsingh_37 amitsingh_37   IP Logged
nrk1
Community Member

Re: Brokaw's Bandgap loop stability
Reply #1 - Nov 23rd, 2013, 8:47pm

The gain from q1 or q2 base to their collectors is negative.  And the one without degeneration has a larger gain.  So the signs are fine.

View Profile   IP Logged
aks

Bangalore
Re: Brokaw's Bandgap loop stability
Reply #2 - Nov 24th, 2013, 8:15pm

Thanks a lot nrk1  :) for clarifying my doubt.
I was pondering over it for quite sometime.

View Profile amitsingh_37 amitsingh_37   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.