The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 15th, 2024, 12:29pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
broadband or narrowband match in LNA (Read 2688 times)
baab

EA
broadband or narrowband match in LNA
Dec 07th, 2013, 11:26am

Hi,

I need your help again. If I design a LNA with bandwidth = 20MHz, what kind of matching that I need, broadband or narrowband match?

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: broadband or narrowband match in LNA
Reply #1 - Dec 7th, 2013, 6:26pm

Hi baab,

It depends on the center frequency. For your 1.7 GHz center, 20 MHz is very very narrowband. You need to design your bandwidth so that it accounts for variation in the network's center frequency.

Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
baab

EA
Reply #2 - Dec 7th, 2013, 7:23pm

Hello Aaron,

Now I switched to fc = 1.555GHz. Based on your answer, I guess it is also narrowband, right?
Quote:
You need to design your bandwidth so that it accounts for variation in the network's center frequency.

May I know what cause the variation?
By the way, I am reading the book you recommended "The Design of CMOS Radio-Frequency Integrated Circuits" by Thomas H. Lee. It is much easier than Razavi book.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #3 - Dec 8th, 2013, 6:41pm

For the LC tank, I suppose process and the accuracy of your modeling would be the biggest errors. Of course part of the LC tank would be made up of your transistor capacitances which are subject to voltage and temperature variation.

Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.