The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 24th, 2024, 2:18pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
opamp design (Read 3563 times)
lvbq

Shanghai
opamp design
Dec 10th, 2013, 4:51am

HI all,

In the application of the opamp, see fig1 ,there will a pole in net A because of the input resistor R1 and input capacitance Cp.

Therefore, in my design of a opamp, I want to minimize the  input capacitance of the opamp.what I want  to ask is how to minimize it ?
does the circuit in the fig2 plot work?(for minimize the miller effect  Cgd of M1 &M2 for using the M3 &M4 )

1_007.png
View Profile lvbq   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: opamp design
Reply #1 - Dec 10th, 2013, 5:51pm

Hi,

the impedance you are trying to minimize is already small without M3 and M4.

Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
danmiso

Reply #2 - Dec 11th, 2013, 11:41pm

You can minimize the input capacitance simply by reducing the device size of the differential pair.  This requires reducing the tail current source and/or increase of the over drive voltage of the differential pair.

A problem with your circuit is that the high gain of the opamp is spoiled by the resistance of the feedback.  You probably want to use a two-stage opamp to isolate the cascode of the folded cascode opamp from the resistive load.

View Profile   IP Logged
AS

US
Reply #3 - Dec 12th, 2013, 5:56pm

The drains of M1-M2 differential pair already see a 1/gm impedance, not sure how much you can gain by additional cascoding.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.