The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 17th, 2024, 7:19pm
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
NFmin is very low. Is it normal? (Read 21150 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: NFmin is very low. Is it normal?
Reply #15 - Jan 20th, 2014, 5:45pm

Hi baab,

its been a while since I read about all of that...

Quote:
My thought now is that I need to simulate quality factor Q of an inductor in TSMC 0.13um and then calculate parasitic resistance from that Q.

You can just assume a typical value for the Q factor (10 for example), and use that to find NFmin. Remember, its iterative. So step one you assume say 5 nH and based on Q = 10 you know the resistance. Then assume your noise circle gives you the optimum L of 6 nH. So you would recalculate R based on 6 nH and Q = 10, and then find the new optimum value. Suppose it is 5.8 nH. You then recalculate R for 5.8 nH and Q = 10, and so on and so forth...

Quote:
2. Where I need to use Noise circle analysis? At present, I am reading about them but I still not really sure.

I don't remember too well what exactly the noise circle plots, but I don't know how you can sweep NF from 1.5 dB to 1.8 dB. I'm guessing the noise circle plots lines of constant NF, and you need to chose the line with the lowest NF? Maybe somebody else can answer this...

I think its all discussed very well in RF Circuit Design by Chris Bowick.

regards,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
baab

EA
Reply #16 - Jan 21st, 2014, 3:45pm

Thank you.
I think in the end I will have to replace real inductors (inductors from TSMC 0.13um) and simulate again. Is that right?

I mean that at first, for the simplicity sake we replaced real inductors by an ideal inductor and ideal resistor in series. However, when all things complete, we need to use real model, pick inductors from TSMC 0.13um that have almost the same parameters such as inductance and internal resistance.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #17 - Jan 21st, 2014, 4:56pm

Sure. In the end you can use real components just to see if you really achieved NFmin. But for the initial simulations, you don't need to include any Lg at all since NFmin will calculate based on the best case input matching network.

regards,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
baab

EA
Reply #18 - Jan 23rd, 2014, 5:09pm

Hi,

I run Gmax and NFmin with Vgs to choose bias voltage. I have just seen another method is to plot gm, gd0, Vgs as functions of current density Id/W. And from that choose optimum drain current density for minimum NF.

Is there any difference between two methods? I see that the first one is much more simple but don't know if there is any problem with it?

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #19 - Jan 24th, 2014, 1:32am

I'm not really sure I understand your second method. So you're saying to fix the width, and plot gm versus Id, gd0 versus Id, and Vgs versus Id? And then what? NFmin versus Id? In the first place it seems like there's a lot of redundant data there...

I guess there's only a problem if you don't really reach NFmin...

regards,
Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
baab

EA
Reply #20 - Jan 24th, 2014, 4:45am

Hi,

Could you take a look at the procedure to design a LNA at near the end of the page?
http://www.ece.ucsb.edu/yuegroup/Teaching/ECE219Winter2013/Lecture%20slides%20an...

The second method that I said in in step 3.

"For a minimum channel-length device, plot (by simulation or otherwise) gm, gd0, and VGS as functions of current density ID/W"

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #21 - Jan 24th, 2014, 7:56am

I took a quick look at it, and it doesn't tell you which operating point to pick for minimum NF. It simply tells you to plot gm, gd0 etc, and then pick a biasing point. So I don't see how you can use this method to get minimum NF. It is useful anyway if you want to see the tradeoff between NF and IIP3.

View Profile   IP Logged
baab

EA
Reply #22 - Feb 19th, 2014, 6:16pm

I'd like to ask another question about minimum noise figure NFmin. As far as I know, NFmin depends only on the geometry of the two transistors. For my example, NFmin will change as dimensions L and W change. This is where I get confused about the procedure to design LNA.
As in the procedure, first we simulate NFmin vs Vgs (bias voltage). From that we can choose Vgs that sastifies NF requirement.
After fixing Vgs, we scale W and L of transistors to get NFmin. This is where the problem is.

For example, initilally, we set W1 and L1 for transistors to simulate NFmin vs Vgs.
From the plot of NFmin vs Vgs, we choose Vgs and fix it.

After fixing Vgs, we scale W1 and L1 to W2 and L2 respectively to get NFmin. However, when W and L are set to W2 and L2, NFmin will be changed. It is no longer the initial NFmin that we choose above.

Finally, what is the point of simulating NFmin here?
Thank you.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #23 - Feb 19th, 2014, 9:06pm

Hi baab,

really I think your design is going to start with a power consumption budget. Based on this budget, you can sweep Vgs and W to get NFmin. However, if you really want the minimum possible NF, its not that straightforward as there are a lot more factors involved. For example, different transistor sizes will require different inductor sizes. And depending on the layout constraints, they will have different Q factors which will lead to different NF. You also need to take into account the NF of the following stages. So your gain will become important too.

I suggest that you keep NFmin in mind, but start studying other things first so you can get a feel for the different considerations that come into play. For example, inductor modeling and design will be very important.

regards,
Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
baab

EA
Reply #24 - Feb 20th, 2014, 8:48pm

Hi, Aaron.

I would like to ask a question. My input is matched. Z11 = 50 Ohms with Real{Z11} = 50 Ohms and Im{Z11} = 0.01Ohms.
However, I checked S11 and it it still large (about -6dB). Could you explain why?

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #25 - Feb 20th, 2014, 10:33pm

Hi baab,

that's quite odd. Are you running a 2-port simulation or 1 port? If you are running a 2-port simulation, can you try just running a 1-port simulation and see if this still happens? In theory it could happen, but its unlikely if S12 is good...also, maybe you could attach your results.

regards,
Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
baab

EA
Reply #26 - Feb 20th, 2014, 11:34pm

Thank you, Aaron. I used two ports.
I will try your solution now. BTW, I made a new thread for this topic with some more information.

View Profile   IP Logged
baab

EA
Reply #27 - Feb 21st, 2014, 12:21am

Well, Aaron. I tried it by unconnecting output port. This means that my output LNA isn't connected to anything else.
Ha, S11 is really good now! At my frequency it is about -59dB. That is great. Could you explain the reason?

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #28 - Feb 21st, 2014, 1:07am

Hi baab,

obviously I haven't seen your schematic, but I guess that S12 is very poor. If you want to know more about s-parameters, you should read that book I mentioned before, "RF Circuit Design" by Chris Bowick.

To give you a watered down explanation, you can say that S11 is defined when the load is equal to 50 ohm (again this isn't exactly true and you need to read to understand more). On the other hand, Z11 is defined when the load is an open circuit. So that's why you're getting different answers. If S12 is very good, then it won't make much difference whether you look at S11 or Z11.

You should try and improve S12 maybe by using a cascode transistor for example.

regards,
Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
baab

EA
Reply #29 - Feb 21st, 2014, 1:40am

Thank you.

I am still reading the book.
I used the cascode topology. I posted the circuit in the new thread here:
http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1392967942

When the output port is not connected, there is not much difference as looking at S11 and Z11.
My S12 is almost constant. It is about -6.4kdB.
It it very good, right?

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.