The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 15th, 2024, 12:25pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Why  noise power is proportional to the mean square of the short-circuit current (Read 2256 times)
baab

EA
Why  noise power is proportional to the mean square of the short-circuit current
Dec 22nd, 2013, 11:57am

Hi,
I get stuck with noise calculation. Now, I am reading an application note about LNA.
Here is the link:
http://www.maximintegrated.com/app-notes/index.mvp/id/3169
Could you please help me explain this part in more detail?
It is an excerpt from that note.

It is assumed that noise from the source is uncorrelated with noise from the two-port network. Thus, noise power is proportional to the mean square of the short-circuit current (denoted by active-low Isc²) at the input port of the noise-free amplifier; and noise power due to the source alone is proportional to the mean square of the source current (active-low Is²).

View Profile   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Re: Why  noise power is proportional to the mean square of the short-circuit current
Reply #1 - Dec 30th, 2013, 6:35pm

Hi Baab,

Note that when they talk about the short circuit current they are referring to the terminals of the noiseless circuit. When the input of the noiseless circuit is shorted then the current that flows through the short is due to three sources

is , in and vnxYs

is and in are two completely independent noise sources that are uncorrelated.

vn is uncorrelated from the thermal source noise, but it can be partially correlated to the circuit input noise current in, so a correlation admittance Yc is used to represent the correlation between in and vn.

Just ask if there is something confusing about this.

View Profile   IP Logged
baab

EA
Re: Why  noise power is proportional to the mean square of the short-circuit current
Reply #2 - Jan 7th, 2014, 1:55am

Thank you. I get it now. I misunderstood where the short refers to.
I have just re-read the note and this is the simplest explanation that I got.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.