The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 2:25am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Reference Voltage in a differential ADC (Read 1260 times)
jockeymonto

abu dhabi
Reference Voltage in a differential ADC
Jan 27th, 2014, 3:55am

Hi folks,

In single ended ADC designs, a reference voltage in an ADC is necessary but what about in differential designs? We have two inputs; a comparator can tell us which one is larger but we need some digital conversion logic to know how large, in digital format. If two inputs are driving DAC capacitive arrays in a differential SAR design can we work out their input in digital format without using any reference voltage? Any thoughts?

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Re: Reference Voltage in a differential ADC
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2014, 8:32am

I've had stranger ideas than a referenceless ADC, but an ADC output is simply a ratio of an unknown input to a known reference. Thus you need a known reference.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #2 - Jan 27th, 2014, 5:05pm

RobG wrote on Jan 27th, 2014, 8:32am:
I've had stranger ideas than a referenceless ADC, but an ADC output is simply a ratio of an unknown input to a known reference. Thus you need a known reference.

This gets done all the time when the information you want is relative to the sampled input. sample 1 compared to sample 2 and so forth.

Absolute values are sometimes not needed. Digital feedback control systems are one example.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #3 - Jan 28th, 2014, 6:34am

loose-electron wrote on Jan 27th, 2014, 5:05pm:
RobG wrote on Jan 27th, 2014, 8:32am:

This gets done all the time when the information you want is relative to the sampled input. sample 1 compared to sample 2 and so forth.

Absolute values are sometimes not needed. Digital feedback control systems are one example.

Well I believe you, but in that case you are using the other signal as the reference. I guess a more precise statement would have been a ratio between two signals.

View Profile   IP Logged
jockeymonto

abu dhabi
Reply #4 - Jan 29th, 2014, 2:05am

Thanks RobG. Well i agree that the output of any ADC is (Vin/Vref)2^N - 1 but there are situations inwhich we can use the differential input voltages to make Vref (like BGR circuit in BJT based temperature sensor) instead of allocating dedicated hardware for Vref. Any thoughts on how ratio-metric ADCs differ from conventional ADCs?

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #5 - Jan 29th, 2014, 2:05pm

jockeymonto wrote on Jan 29th, 2014, 2:05am:
Thanks RobG. Well i agree that the output of any ADC is (Vin/Vref)2^N - 1 but there are situations inwhich we can use the differential input voltages to make Vref (like BGR circuit in BJT based temperature sensor) instead of allocating dedicated hardware for Vref. Any thoughts on how ratio-metric ADCs differ from conventional ADCs?

OK, you seem to be saying doing it without an explicit voltage reference. If you mean injecting a reference charge derived from BJTs (or a single BJT with different currents at different times), then yes I've seen that done in a pipeline (or was it a delta-sigma?). Might be impractical for a SAR since IIRC a practical design required two caps with a ratio on the order of 8:1, the 8x device switching in a PTAT charge and the 1x device switching in the Vbe. If you aren't talking about that then I don't know Smiley.

By ratio-metric I assume you mean the circuit loose-electron talked about - I've never seen it but would be interested in learning more. Seems like a way to divide two signals.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #6 - Jan 30th, 2014, 10:10am

in the situation I described it is generally done to a Vref, but the value of Vref is not well defined. With that Vsample1, Vsample2, etc can be digitally compared.

The Vref scalar is still there but frequently the absolute value is not that important.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.