The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 4:21am
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Distribute bias current or bias voltages ? (Read 12310 times)
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Re: Distribute bias current or bias voltages ?
Reply #15 - Feb 18th, 2014, 8:11am

Horror Vacui wrote on Feb 17th, 2014, 12:48am:
Here is my simple calculation:
If we use higher current to generate the same voltage, then the resistance would be proportionally lower.
v=i*R  &  vn^2=c*i*R^2      p=1/RC
v'=2i*R/2  &  vn'^2=c*2i*(R/2)^2=c*i*R^2 /2 = vn^2 /2 --> vn'=vn/sqrt(2)      p'=1/(R/2)/C=2/RC
So in the double current case we have 1/sqrt(2) voltage noise if there is no capacitance. But if there is a cap, then the bandwidth of the RC filter increases. This results in increased noise. But if the filtering pole is independent of the current-to-voltage generating resistor, then higher current means lower noise.

I think I know what you are talking about - it amounts to whether or not you are interested in the whole spectrum or just larger than 1/RC. Here's my math, all mistakes due to early morning mental fog.

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #16 - Feb 18th, 2014, 8:14am

harpoon wrote on Feb 18th, 2014, 5:21am:
loose-electron wrote on Feb 17th, 2014, 2:08pm:
In some big current array devices, I have done a two stage bias system of multiple current bias distributions to  local reference diodes which then provided a bias point for the local devices. How big that "bias circle" was a function of the proximity matching data.  

i like this idea ... distribute current globallly ... and then again locally.

This is what I and to some extent Carl where getting at, but you don't want too many daisy chained since the errors add.

View Profile   IP Logged
carlgrace

Berkeley, CA
Reply #17 - Feb 23rd, 2014, 9:06pm

RobG wrote on Feb 12th, 2014, 9:33am:
[quote
And anyone familiar with Carl Grace's work knows he isn't a bonehead Smiley.

Shucks, Rob, that is really nice of you to say.  But when I make a bonehead comment it is still a bonehead comment no matter what I've done in the past.   Wink

View Profile   IP Logged
Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Reply #18 - Mar 3rd, 2014, 2:10am

In image sensors where there can be millions of amplifiers and ADC's on several micron pitch, I've seen mostly voltage routing. The two-stage-bias-system that is mentioned, I've seen on silicon as well, thought it has the disadvantage that it can create 'block patterns' as the part of the noise is correlated. Block patterns are more visible than the smooth gradient that would normally arise. (Hence more disturbing to the eye.) Of course, it depends on the application whether this is a problem.

Another obvious thing is whether changing from voltage to current routing costs power. In the image sensor example, the extra current draw would also be quite costly.

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #19 - Mar 3rd, 2014, 5:18am

Great insight with the "block noise" Lex.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.