The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 8:42am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Passive adder/subractor possibility (Read 2972 times)
eternity

Passive adder/subractor possibility
Feb 25th, 2014, 1:55am

Hi all,
        I would like to know about the ways to do the voltage addition or subraction without using an opamp.

If you know some ways, please feel free to share it here

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: Passive adder/subractor possibility
Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2014, 7:21am

Hi,
Potential divider would help for addition.

Tx,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
eternity

Reply #2 - Feb 25th, 2014, 7:33am

Thanks for the reply
i am more interested in voltage subraction than addition
potential divider will not help me with this scenario i guess

thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
carlgrace

Berkeley, CA
Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2014, 7:51am

You can do it with capacitors.  Charge up two caps in parallel, then put them in series.  Charge in conserved and voila!  You have an adder.  Flip some of the capacitors around before you put them in series and voila!  You have a subtractor.

Their are lots of practical problems with this technique though.  The principal issue is charge sharing with unavoidable parasitics.  This means your addition will not be accurate (and will be hard to predict).

That's why op amps are used in this type of circuit.  Virtual grounds are very nice things.

View Profile   IP Logged
carlgrace

Berkeley, CA
Reply #4 - Feb 25th, 2014, 8:05am

You can do it with capacitors.  Charge up two caps in parallel, then put them in series.  Charge in conserved and voila!  You have an adder.  Flip some of the capacitors around before you put them in series and voila!  You have a subtractor.

Their are lots of practical problems with this technique though.  The principal issue is charge sharing with unavoidable parasitics.  This means your addition will not be accurate (and will be hard to predict).

That's why op amps are used in this type of circuit.  Virtual grounds are very nice things.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.