The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 16th, 2024, 11:43am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
how can I simulate guard rings? (Read 2096 times)
dog1
Community Member

how can I simulate guard rings?
Mar 21st, 2014, 6:07am

Hi guys, I am simulating an LNA at 60GHz and need some inductors there. And I need to incorporate the couplings between the inductors and other structures. However, I don't know if there is a way to incorporate the effect of the guardring in the simulation when dealing with those couplings. Right now, I mostly use momentum for the simulation of large metal structures like inductors, but the effect of the guarding ring in the substrate can not be taken into consideration there. And also in the process I uses a lower metal shielding is not recommended, thus the effect of the guarding ring is very important.

Thanks!

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: how can I simulate guard rings?
Reply #1 - Apr 7th, 2014, 2:35pm

QRC can extract substrate connections, and can also extract inductance. There was a paper on using QRC to extract designed inductors (in addition to parasitic inductance) at CDN Live! EMEA a couple of years ago - http://www.cadence.com/pages/dh.aspx?vfile=/cdnlive/library/documents/2012/eu/CD... - you'll need a login to access this, but the site allows you to create one.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.