The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 15th, 2024, 9:22am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
square law mixer simulation (Read 2920 times)
mixed_signal

square law mixer simulation
Apr 07th, 2014, 8:12am

Hi,
I am simulating a square law mixer and the input to it is RF+LO. What is the best way to combine RF+LO?

Use 2 ports and vcvs to add? But  this screws matching since vcvs has high Rin and low Rout. If I put 50 ohm in parallel with port then I get incorrect NF?

Put 2 ports in series? I want to simulate noise figure and matching.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: square law mixer simulation
Reply #1 - Apr 7th, 2014, 5:53pm

How do you intend to do it in the real design? Transformer? If you just want some kind of ideal simulation, then you could use a PORT for the RF input, and put a voltage source in series for the LO. But in the final design, it sounds like your LO is going to affect your input matching...

regards,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
mixed_signal

Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2014, 8:08am

Hi Aaron,

I am using a cyclic combiner using L and C networks. If I use a voltage source then will spectreRF properly simulate large signal effects of LO since its not a port.

View Profile   IP Logged
mixed_signal

Reply #3 - Apr 9th, 2014, 8:31am

Hi Aaron,
I am using offchip transformer to generate LO+, LO-, RF+, RF- though and a cyclic combiner afterwards. I have posted a test setup question in RF measurements section. You may have a look.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.