The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 3:51pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Two questions about S11 of interconnect (Read 2892 times)
Kyle

Two questions about S11 of interconnect
Apr 26th, 2014, 7:59pm

Hi, everyone,
I have  two questions about the s11 of  interconnect,
1. what‘s the physical meaning of the largest point of S11 ? Could I call it as the resonate point?
2. In the wide band, s11 seems to be approximate periodic, why ?

S11.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: Two questions about S11 of interconnect
Reply #1 - Apr 26th, 2014, 10:27pm

Hi,

I assume this is a two-port simulation with a t-line as the DUT. Your t-line is not 50-ohm. On the smith chart, your plot will trace a circle around some centre-point close to the real axis. This point is the characteristic impedance of your line. Because it is a circle and at DC S11 must be zero (perfect through), the S11 will periodically intersect zero with a period depending on the electrical length of the line.  At this point, the imaginary impedance is zero, so you could possibly call it a resonant point, but the point where S11 has its smallest magnitude in dB would also be a resonant point.

If you were to change your port impedances to equal this characteristic impedance, then your S11 would be zero across all frequencies (-infinite dB, assuming lossless).

regards,
Aaron

Edit:

Sorry i think i answered too quickly. The center of the circle is not the characterisitic impedance. The characteristic impedance should be the geometric mean of the minimum and maximum resistance......

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Kyle

Reply #2 - Apr 27th, 2014, 12:52am

Hi, Aaron
Thank you for your reply, it is really helpful,
i am still confused about the following part,

the S11 will periodically intersect zero with a period depending on the electrical length of the line.  

i think the wavelength of T-line depends on both frequency and geometry, and it will change with frequency with fixed geometry. so we can just identify the wavelength or electrical length of the line at a single frequency point. is that right?

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #3 - Apr 27th, 2014, 5:54pm

Hi,

sorry I probably should have said length, not electrical length.

regards,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.