The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 5th, 2024, 3:32am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to deal with simulation with too many pins? (Read 2430 times)
wayne_luo

How to deal with simulation with too many pins?
Jul 01st, 2014, 8:28pm

Hi everyone,

I have a question when I simulated a simple adder by cadence virtuoso. I've designed a 64-bit adder and would like to make a simulation. But it seems too boring when I do so because there are almost 200 pins. That is to say if I just use vpulse (NCSU_Analog_Parts -> Voltage_Sources -> vpulse) in this process, I need more than 100 voltage sources in my design that will be boring and time consuming. Are there some other kind of sources that can be used in this situation or some other method?

Thanks a lot!

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: How to deal with simulation with too many pins?
Reply #1 - Jul 1st, 2014, 8:47pm

Use Verilog-AMS for the testbench. Once you use Verilog-AMS for this you will never go back to using a schematic.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
wayne_luo

Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2014, 10:48pm

Thanks for your response, Ken.

I know the Verilog-AMS and it should be a good choice, but I just wonder if I can do this simulation by cadence spectre. Maybe I can extract the netlist of the model from the schematic and simulate it by coding manually. It seems a boring work too.

-Wayne

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Jul 2nd, 2014, 12:55am

You would use AMS Designer. Write a Verilog-AMS testbench and instantiate the schematic. You can then fully exercise the adder with a few lines of code. You can even make the testbench fully self checking.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.