The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 3:29pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Problem with non-overlap circuit (Read 6700 times)
AMSA
Community Member

Problem with non-overlap circuit
Aug 06th, 2014, 5:35am

Hi guys,

I've tried several non overlap circuits, just google in the images section for non overlapping circuits that you'll those who I am reffering to.

Here I present the non overlap circuit done with 2 NAND and 1 NOT gates then 2 delay lines in each branch.

Picture:

The problem here is that I can't proximate both the rise and fall edges even more. The only way is to remove the delay lines. Even though if I wish to separate them a bit, using the delay lines it's impossible.

I am using 500Mhz of switching frequency (VPULSE).

Basically the question here is how can I proximate the edges?

As I said, I did the same with other types of non overlapping circuits but the result was pretty much the same.

If I add more delay (2) the edges get more far away from each other. If I add only one more delay (3) the wave gets a strange shape. It only works with pairs. Why this happens?

If I reduce the size of the transistors in the delay line the signal gets strange because it can't supply current to the NAND because of its size.

My tech is UMC130.

Kind regards.

View Profile   IP Logged
boe
Community Fellow

Re: Problem with non-overlap circuit
Reply #1 - Aug 11th, 2014, 12:09am

AMSA,
if you use an inverting "delay line", you change the logic function - so the circuit can no longer work.
If you think about the circuit you will see that the length of the delay line defines the duration of the both-off state.
- B O E

View Profile   IP Logged
AMSA
Community Member

Reply #2 - Aug 13th, 2014, 8:16am

I see. But how do you suggest the delay line implementation? Isn't using NOTs? NOTs aren't made of inverters? I have seen this circuit around the web. But in one or two books too.

Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
carlgrace

Berkeley, CA
Reply #3 - Aug 13th, 2014, 2:03pm

What do you mean "proximate" the rise and fall edges?  The minimum you can reliably have for non-overlap depends on your process.  So does the minimum rise/fall times.

View Profile   IP Logged
boe
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Aug 14th, 2014, 3:50am

AMSA wrote on Aug 13th, 2014, 8:16am:
I see. But how do you suggest the delay line implementation? Isn't using NOTs? NOTs aren't made of inverters? I have seen this circuit around the web. But in one or two books too.

Regards

AMSA,
but overall, the delay line needs to be non-inverting (i.e. have an even number of inverters).
- B O E

View Profile   IP Logged
AMSA
Community Member

Reply #5 - Aug 14th, 2014, 5:56am

BOE, but that wasn't what I've made? If you notice on the circuit, the feedback is taken after 2 delays, that is, two inverter - so to say after an even number of inverters.

Isn't correct?

Well, the idea that I have after reading about his subject was that one can control the non overlap space by inserting a number of (EVEN) inverters on the feedback. That's correct. However, after I've done my readings, I put that into practice and I found that I canno't create an accurate delay (space between the signals) between the signals in a way that I can do it in a fine manner, that is, have something like a fine tune of the delay.

I've enven tried with only two inverters (even) with small values of W/L, somsthing aroung 200n/160n and even though I didn't managed to get that fine tune of the delay.

That's why I asked this here.

Regards.

View Profile   IP Logged
wendyyang100

Reply #6 - Aug 14th, 2014, 7:43pm

Hi,

I think the "fine tune delay" is not easy to get, since the delay of inverter strongly depends on the process. And the delay caused by layout may count sometimes.

wendy

View Profile   IP Logged
boe
Community Fellow

Reply #7 - Aug 15th, 2014, 5:06am

AMSA,
AMSA wrote on Aug 14th, 2014, 5:56am:
BOE, but that wasn't what I've made? If you notice on the circuit, the feedback is taken after 2 delays, that is, two inverter - so to say after an even number of inverters.

Isn't correct?
Yes, it is. I was referring to your earlier post:
AMSA wrote on Aug 6th, 2014, 5:35am:
... If I add only one more delay (3) the wave gets a strange shape. It only works with pairs. Why this happens?

AMSA wrote on Aug 14th, 2014, 5:56am:
... However, after I've done my readings, I put that into practice and I found that I canno't create an accurate delay (space between the signals) between the signals in a way that I can do it in a fine manner, that is, have something like a fine tune of the delay.

I've enven tried with only two inverters (even) with small values of W/L, somsthing aroung 200n/160n and even though I didn't managed to get that fine tune of the delay. ...
You can influence the value of the delay chain by sizing and loading.
However, as already mentioned by carlgrace, there are fundamental limits what you can achieve in your process (and under your operating conditions), also in terms of accuracy (variance).
- B O E

« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2014, 6:52am by boe »  
View Profile   IP Logged
AMSA
Community Member

Reply #8 - Aug 15th, 2014, 12:18pm

Ok BOE I understood why you said that. My mistake. Can you elaborate the charge and loading?

So maybe I'm at the process limit, is that it?

Perhaps I should have given the set of operating conditions and the process I am using:

The non overlap circuit is operating @500Mhz;
The process is 130nm from UMC;
The transistors I am using are the 3.3V transistors;

Regards.

View Profile   IP Logged
boe
Community Fellow

Reply #9 - Aug 18th, 2014, 6:44am

AMSA,
in my tech, a straight-forward non-overlap circuit with 3.3V transistors (3.3V, 27 degC, typ. process) and 2 inverters can achieve a gap of about 200 ps. I am not sure it makes even sense to go below that to ensure proper operation over PVT corners.
If you want to increase the gap, you can increase the load of (i.e. add cap to) internal nodes...
- B O E

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.