The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 3:05pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gain settling requirement for the FM system (Read 1687 times)
angel

Gain settling requirement for the FM system
Aug 10th, 2014, 11:45pm

Hello

I have one question about VGLNA with AGC in FM receiver front-end design. I made one VGLNA with analog AGC for the PhD research work, if possible, could you please let me know what's the gain settling requirement for the FM system and how fast should this AGC loop achieved?

Thank you very much

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: Gain settling requirement for the FM system
Reply #1 - Aug 11th, 2014, 6:33pm

Hi,

normally it depends on the communications protocol. For a digital comms system, there is usually some time allocated for AGC settling, PLL locking etc. In your case, there may not be a standard, it may be simply a competition between your design and competitor designs.

All that said, for FM, as I've mentioned before, the amplitude of the signal isn't very important. You can probably design your system with a limiting amplifier at the end. That will make the settling very fast, and the AGC will really just be for optimizing the SNR or power consumption. I suggest reading some papers on FM receiver ICs so you can see what the overall system looks like.

Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.