The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 19th, 2024, 8:30pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Weak pull up/down and keeper in IOs (Read 5572 times)
dewy

Weak pull up/down and keeper in IOs
Aug 12th, 2014, 6:27am

Hi,

The block mentioned in the subject is usually used in IOs to pull up/down the pad when it is floating (please correct if this is wrong). Besides these, there is also a keeper mode and I am not sure when that is enabled. Can anyone give me an explanation on when exactly each of  the mode (up/down/keeper) is enabled?

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: Weak pull up/down and keeper in IOs
Reply #1 - Aug 12th, 2014, 11:48am

Can be unique to the particular device.

Most of the time it means some form of pull up, or pull down (if driver to the pin is tristate it fgoes to that state) or a "keeper" which means that the input is  weakly held in a particular state, such that nothing is connected outside the IC but the pin is kept either high or low.

The details are unique to a device. If you look at a FPGA/CPLD/uController document, these definable states will have explicit definitions. (i.e. "5 uA pull up current is turned on when the I/O is configured in the Keep High mode)

unique to vendor-design

RTFM

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.