The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 28th, 2024, 5:20am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Problems about IIP2 simulation setting up. (Read 2344 times)
donalma

Problems about IIP2 simulation setting up.
Sep 16th, 2014, 7:37am

Hi everyone,
Recently, I am testing the IIP2 performance of my 12GHz down-conversion mixer.However, I have met some trouble about how to test IIP2 correctly. Here is my setting.
In this Gilbert down-conversion mixer test bench, LO port has a LO-frequency at 13GHz. Then, RF port has two frequencies as input. They are 12.3GHz RF1 and 12.9GHz RF2. I utilize "IPN curves" function in PSS analysis to test IIP2 performance of this circuit. At the output, I select |12.3GHz-12.9GHz|=600MHz as IM output, then |12.3GHz-13GHz|=700MHz as Linearity output. After using IPN curves analysis, IIP2 result can be seen from the figure directly. At the same time, we can see that IM curve fits well with 2dB/dB extension line in both I_path and Q_path from Prf=-40dBm to Prf =-20dBm. I think this result is convincing with such setting.
However, problems came when I have changed the 2 frequencies in RF port. Specifically, when RF1=12.2GHz and RF2=12.8GHz, IM frequency equals 600MHz, while linearity frequency equals 800MHz. Figure plotted is shown below, where IM curve starts to deviate from 2dB/dB curve.
What's more, when RF1=12.1GHz and RF2=12.9GHz, IM curve still can't fit 2dB/dB extension line.Figure of this is not shown below.
I guess some other high-order inter-modulation products which equal to this IM frequency come to the output. So, IM freq curve appears greater than 2dB/dB.But the voltage amplitude of these possible high-order inter-modulation must be too small to affect IM curve so much.
Hoping for your help^.^Thanks very much~
« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2014, 9:35pm by donalma »  
View Profile   IP Logged
rfidea

Europe
Re: Problems about IIP2 simulation setting up.
Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2014, 12:34pm

In the case with RF=12.8 and 12.2GHz one of the downconverted tones will be at 200MHz. HD3 of that tone is at 600MHz, which also is your IM3. Can this mess up your results?

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Problems about IIP2 simulation setting up.
Reply #2 - Nov 18th, 2014, 6:20pm

You should always use the small-signal analysis approach to computing IP2 or IP3 described in Accurate and rapid measurement of IP2 and IP3, it is more accurate than applying two large test tones.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.