The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 28th, 2024, 8:22pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Magnetic field in the center of an on-chip transformer (Read 2676 times)
Nath

Magnetic field in the center of an on-chip transformer
Sep 16th, 2014, 6:53pm

Hi,
I have a  fundamental question about the magnetic field in the center of an inter-wound symmetric monolithic transformer. As I understand it, the built in phase inversion from the primary to secondary of an inter-wound (lateral) transformer results in ZERO magnetic field at the center.
This is quite contrary to a spiral inductor whose field is strongest in the center. Does this make sense or am I not looking at this correctly?  

Regards,
Nath  

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: Magnetic field in the center of an on-chip transformer
Reply #1 - Sep 17th, 2014, 8:09am

care to provide a picture of what you are talking about?

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #2 - Sep 18th, 2014, 4:28am

Hi Nath,

I believe your reasoning is correct. The currents in the primary and secondary will be going in the opposite direction and the magnetic fields which they produce will cancel at the center of the transformer.

Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
totowo

SH, PRC
Reply #3 - Nov 13th, 2014, 11:25pm

According to Lenz's law, the secondary current is really trying to cancel the magnetic flux, but it is always more 'weak' to cancel all. Smiley

Nath wrote on Sep 16th, 2014, 6:53pm:
Hi,
I have a  fundamental question about the magnetic field in the center of an inter-wound symmetric monolithic transformer. As I understand it, the built in phase inversion from the primary to secondary of an inter-wound (lateral) transformer results in ZERO magnetic field at the center.
This is quite contrary to a spiral inductor whose field is strongest in the center. Does this make sense or am I not looking at this correctly?  

Regards,
Nath  

View Profile totowo totowo   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.