The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 29th, 2024, 1:15pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Phase Detector Phase Noise Contribution (Read 2440 times)
MarkS

Phase Detector Phase Noise Contribution
Nov 13th, 2014, 7:38am

Hello,

I was reading Ken Kundert's paper "Predicting the Phase Noise of PLL-Based Synthesizers." Its audience I believe is primarily for ASIC designer's of PLLs, of which I am not, but am interested in learning the fundamentals. On page 16 it states, ".....while the noise from the PFD will all be in the edges and so will be independent of how long the CP is on." What I'm interested in is what's the phase noise contribution of a phase detector. I understand the statement above -- it makes sense that the more edges, the more noise (same concept as with the created clock itself -- if you divide it down you'll have less phase noise). However, I was looking at a Hittite PLL (HMC703LP4e). On page 15 of the datasheet (EQ 1), it shows an equation for the overall phase noise, as a function of various contributors. One of those contributors is the frequency of the phase detector, which is a denominator of the last term. Therefore, the higher the phase detector frequency, the lower the phase noise overall. Can someone help me understand the discrepancy? Thanks for any feedback.

View Profile   IP Logged
BackerShu
Community Member

Re: Phase Detector Phase Noise Contribution
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2014, 9:41pm

Hello MarkS,
MarkS wrote on Nov 13th, 2014, 7:38am:
Therefore, the higher the phase detector frequency, the lower the phase noise overall.

I don't think this conclusion is valid in general.
Assume PLL output frequency to be fixed, the conclusion is kind of true.
Yet, if you assume the division factor of a PLL to be fixed, which maybe more practical to keep the same loop dynamics of PLL, the phase noise of PLL actually increases with fpd, since the quadratic term of fo in the numerators in EQ1.
In case you're interested, the following paper did detailed analysis of PFD noise contribution, and the conclusion they reach agrees with the latter case.
Homayoun, A.; Razavi, B., "Analysis of Phase Noise in Phase/Frequency Detectors," Circuits and Systems I: Regular Papers, IEEE Transactions on , vol.60, no.3, pp.529,539, March 2013.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: Phase Detector Phase Noise Contribution
Reply #2 - Dec 2nd, 2014, 6:43am

For a given o/p frequency, increasing fref means decreasing N hence in band multiplication decreases.
1. charge pump noise spectral density depends on up/dn pulse width*Fref, hence cp noise will go up unless you redesign the PFD (very difficult, overlap time decided by the dead-zone).

2. Increasing reference frequency will also impacts in-band noise unless you use different crystal or some clean-up PLL.

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.