The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 10th, 2024, 8:48am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DAC at 110M Hz (Read 4854 times)
circuit_cook

DAC at 110M Hz
Dec 04th, 2014, 8:12am

Hi, all:

For a DAC with 110M clock frequency in most recent digital CMOS process, is current steering the only suitable architecutre.
     I wonder if there are passive DAC options for this, I have problem with the current steering DAC because the current source noise is high.

Judy

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: DAC at 110M Hz
Reply #1 - Dec 4th, 2014, 10:59pm

At that rate, current steering is probably the best choice for most CMOS technologies out there.

The CMOS noise has been studied a bit in these research IEEE JSSC papers on the subject.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
circuit_cook

Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2014, 7:46am

Thanks for the above reply, that confirms my conclusion.
Now is there a simple solution to this?  because our headroom is small, only 1.8V for cascode current source, current source noise is bad. To get a low noise at 400kHz, we have a large RC filter on the bias, but that (because of the large R) deterioate 10k noise even worse.
    I read in the papers, some are talking about swiching the biasing circuit to reduce the flicker noise, the reduction can't be seen in simulation but can be seen in the lab. Does anyone get good results from that?

Judy

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #3 - Dec 5th, 2014, 8:46am

It depends on your load, resolution, and what your process is. You say most recent process, but you are using 1.8V. That doesn't add up.

I agree with loose-electron in that switched current is going to be the fastest, but depending on your specs other topologies can work at 110MHz.

Capacitive DACs are plenty fast. ([3] Wang, F.-J.; Temes, G.C.; Law, S., "A quasi-passive CMOS pipeline D/A converter," Solid-State Circuits, IEEE Journal of , vol.24, no.6, pp.1752-1755, Dec 1989).

If you can drive your load with an RC filter you can probably do the design with a tapped-R dac.

I can't say if these are appropriate for your design since you haven't given enough information.

View Profile   IP Logged
circuit_cook

Reply #4 - Dec 5th, 2014, 12:14pm

Hi,

The load is not large, only 2p, which is a control port. The resolution is 10Bit.  the process 28nm, but the DAC uses IO device, so it is 1.8V, and it needs 1V output swing.
   Right now the current DAC does have a RC filter connected at the output, the clock is 110MHz, but the reconstruction filter is 1.6MHz bandwith.
    I thought about tapped R, but the concern is speed and glitch.
Need to read the pipeline converter paper.  Also I am taking a poll here if anyone has success with a passive DAC at 10Bit 110MHz, the signal bandwidth doesn't need to be 50MHz. only couple of MHz.

Thank you.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #5 - Dec 8th, 2014, 6:32pm

if the signal BW is as low as you described, why the high clock rate?

Also, the flicker noise of current sources in a HF switched current system needs to be studied a bit more because how you do the switching, rotating the current sources, etc effects the noise product put out.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
circuit_cook

Reply #6 - Dec 9th, 2014, 7:53am

Hi,

The DAC is in a Digital PLL, and the clock rate is 110M, so that is the reason for the high speed.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.