The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 28th, 2024, 11:18pm
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bandgap Voltage Reference (Read 15831 times)
Novaris

Re: Bandgap Voltage Reference
Reply #15 - Jan 03rd, 2015, 9:14am

Ok i got a little lost now, what is your question?

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #16 - Jan 3rd, 2015, 2:49pm

The use of PN junctions to define a bandgap reference is done because the consistence of the voltage difference between two PN junctions of different geometric size and common current is extremely accurate.

Notice that I say "difference between two PN junctions".

If you go do the math on it you will see that all the process variance falls out of the equation and thus makes for a very accurate reference. That is with both PN junctions on the same piece of silicon.

Not the case with MOS threshold voltages. MOS threshold variance is much much worse.

Bandgaps on CMOS processes are generally done with the PN junctions that are available on the silicon.

Ask good questions and you will get good answers.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Eliot

Reply #17 - Jan 5th, 2015, 12:20am

Hi Novaris

If gm/id approach is not suitable to BGR, is there any other way to size the MOS transistors more accurately besides square law model approach?

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #18 - Jan 5th, 2015, 12:36am

Eliot wrote on Jan 3rd, 2015, 4:34am:
This is the other one.

That device totally ignores threshold variance, which is very significant.
Also, no silicon was evaluated just simulations.

Jerry Twomey
Novaris

Reply #19 - Jan 5th, 2015, 5:46am

To be honest I can't think of a better way to calculate the MOS transistor sizes, at least for temperature variation.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #20 - Jan 5th, 2015, 11:52am

Novaris wrote on Jan 5th, 2015, 5:46am:
To be honest I can't think of a better way to calculate the MOS transistor sizes, at least for temperature variation.

That is not the thing I have a problem with. Vth has a huge amount of variance in it, and also a large amount of variance from device to device on the same piece of silicon. In the real world that will kill the design.

That is the reason that the majority of bandgaps are done using PN junction ratios.

In the real world.

In academia? It depends on the professor, if they got no real world experience you might be able to pull it off, but if you hear the phrase "have you considered...." then you are dead.

Jerry Twomey
Novaris

Reply #21 - Jan 5th, 2015, 12:05pm

I know and all references I made over the years were all based on bipolar devices.

But you may come accross a low power application for example for a power on reset were you can actually use a weak inversion based reference. These circuits do not have a high accuracy requirement when it comes to noise and you maybe can even live with the spread of the por-level.

I read a few articles about such references which also contained measurement data so it is 'possible'. But to use such a reference for an accurate application? No.

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #22 - Jan 6th, 2015, 8:03am

loose-electron wrote on Jan 3rd, 2015, 2:49pm:
The use of PN junctions to define a bandgap reference is done because the consistence of the voltage difference between two PN junctions of different geometric size and common current is extremely accurate.

Notice that I say "difference between two PN junctions".

If you go do the math on it you will see that all the process variance falls out of the equation and thus makes for a very accurate reference. That is with both PN junctions on the same piece of silicon.

Not the case with MOS threshold voltages. MOS threshold variance is much much worse.

Bandgaps on CMOS processes are generally done with the PN junctions that are available on the silicon.

Ask good questions and you will get good answers.

Good info. I will add that the temperature variation due to process variations in the bipolar and the resistors and also some mismatches can be eliminated by trimming the output to a known voltage at a pre-determined temperature of moderate accuracy. In other words, bipolar references can handle process variations easier than other types.

With a CMOS reference the VT variation messes things up and you require measurements at multiple temperatures to trim out the temp-co. I will leave it as a research project for the interested parties to figure out why this is Cheesy.

The classic paper on bipolar BGRs was written by Brokaw. It provides a good understanding of the fundamentals. Rincon has also published more state-of-the-art papers. Vittoz published an all mos reference quite a long time ago. These are essential readings.

Also research Makinwa's work. He uses an alternative to all cmos and bipolar, but I don't know much about it.

When you find things out please update us. I have never been a fan of the CMOS references on the assumption that process variations are too hard to deal with, but I have never done an in-depth investigation.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.