The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 7th, 2024, 6:16pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LC VCO phase noise versus Q factor (Read 2849 times)
JV

Belgium
LC VCO phase noise versus Q factor
Feb 12th, 2015, 1:47am

Hi guys,

Could someone please enlighten me why the phase noise of an LC VCO drops with 6dB when doubling the loaded Q factor (while keeping all other parameters constant)? Looking at Leeson's formula, it has the Rp losses in the numerator (Ps=Vē/Rp) and Q squared in the denominator.

I would expect that doubling the Q factor of the LC tank while keeping L and C constant, implies doubling the Rp as well. This would result in only 3dB improvement of the phase noise, is this correct?

What am I missing here?

Thanks!

View Profile   IP Logged
Jeffrey987

Re: LC VCO phase noise versus Q factor
Reply #1 - Mar 12th, 2015, 11:00am

It depends if you assume V constant? Is your VCO current limited or voltage limited?
If it is current limited, Ps = V^2 / Rp ~ i^2 Rp, if it is voltage limited, it is as you assume in leesons formula.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: LC VCO phase noise versus Q factor
Reply #2 - Mar 13th, 2015, 11:34pm

Quote:
I would expect that doubling the Q factor of the LC tank while keeping L and C constant, implies doubling the Rp as well.

Hi,

why do you think that doubling Rp would make the phase noise worse? If I made Rp infinite (which is equivalent to removing it), what do you think would happen to the noise performance?

Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.