The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 6:52am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
modeling flicker noise in vco model (Read 3992 times)
josef_sous

modeling flicker noise in vco model
Mar 09th, 2015, 5:08am

hi all ,
i want to add a flicker noise to an vco verilog A based model(for modeling close loop pll with noise contribution).
i have read ken kundert "modeling jitter in pll- based frequency synthesizers" and it was very helpful.
ken offers there this way for adding accumulating jitter:
code:  freq = freq*(1 + dT*freq);
         where dT= 1.414*jitter*$rdist_normal(seed,0, 1);
now , i did noise analysis  simulation, i modeled the vco as 2*pi*kvco/s with svcvs block and i use veriloga driver with flicker noise.the plot  out put with noise analysis was the same plot i got after simulating pss & pnoise analysis  on the vco schamtic so i'm understanding that thus parameters  are the correct parameters for flicker noise .  now i want to use the parameters  i put in phase domain vco simulation and put it on time domain vco simulation use tran noise and simulating an close loop pll .
so i've 2 questions:
1)i tried to use the idea ken offered except that i  changed dT as
-->  f_n=flicker_noise(flickerPSDat1Hz,1);
      dT=1.414*f_n;
 but i don't really see any impact  on the phase noise which is strange.
is that correct to do it .
2) if there is anyone who can give me an idea how to do it. maybe what i trying to do is not correct way to do it?
bay the way i did phase domain simulation with noise in tran noise and in noise analysis and the seems logical .so now i want to add time domain simulation for the  get the whole picture.
thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: modeling flicker noise in vco model
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2015, 6:55am

flicker_noise() is a small-signal noise generator that works in small-signal ac noise analysis (like Spice's .noise).  You will not get anything in transient analysis unless you use something like Ken's approach.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.