The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 18th, 2024, 10:45am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
frequency accuracy and phase noise of PLL (Read 1265 times)
tulip
Community Member

frequency accuracy and phase noise of PLL
May 09th, 2015, 8:19pm

Hello everyone, I need to design two PLLs whose frequency differences is very accurate. I have several questions about this, please help me.
1. the concept of frequency accuracy and phase noise of pll.
   In my opnion, frequency accuracy is usually expressed in ppm. It is determined by the reference frequency accuracy(crystal oscillator frequency accuracy). The other building blocks of PLL, such as divider, CP, VCO do not inflence the frequency accuracy.
  Phase noise is a random process,  building blocks of PLL, such as divider, CP, VCO do influence the phase noise.

2.I think frequency accuracy do not influence phase noise, but phase noise, as it is frequency fluctuation, will influence instantaneous frequency accuracy, not average frequency accuracy.

3.To improve average frequency accuracy, the only way is to select high accuracy frequency reference. To improve instantaneous frequency accuracy, we should select high accuracy frequency reference and optimize the phase noise of PLL.

4. from the above, it seems the only way to improve the average accuracy of PLL frequency differences is to select high accuracy frequency reference. If we need to improve the instantaneous accuracy of PLL frequency differences, we should also optimize the phase noise of PLLs.

Am  I correct? Thank you very much.

Not every morning wake up your alarm clock, but dream!
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.